Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jacqui Jacqui is offline

Default Saving customized menu

Thanks for the help I've already received on this. The problem I have
now is that I can't save my customized template. I've created a new
template made customizations and saved it as normalnew. I want to test
it with a couple of users and eventually replace our normal.dot with
it. I've savid the new template using the shift + save all key but
each time I either open the template or open a new doc based on the
template, I have to click on tools, customise then click close before
my new menus appear. On reading up on this it seems that having Adobe
7 installed seems to be the proble, but I thought the shift + save all
would solve this. HELP?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jonathan West Jonathan West is offline

"Jacqui" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the help I've already received on this. The problem I have
now is that I can't save my customized template. I've created a new
template made customizations and saved it as normalnew. I want to test
it with a couple of users and eventually replace our normal.dot with
it. I've savid the new template using the shift + save all key but
each time I either open the template or open a new doc based on the
template, I have to click on tools, customise then click close before
my new menus appear. On reading up on this it seems that having Adobe
7 installed seems to be the proble, but I thought the shift + save all
would solve this. HELP?

1. Go to Tools, Add-ins, and uncheck the Adobe PDFMaker add-ins. (You can
re-check the boxes after you have made the changes to your template.)

2. Open your template.

3. Open the Tools Customize dialog.

4. Make sure that the "Save Changes in" box at the bottom of the dialog
shows your template.

5. Make your changes to the menus and toolbars, keeping the Tools Customize
dialog open.

6. Save your template.

--
Regards
Jonathan West - Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jacqui Jacqui is offline

Thanks Jonathan. The adobe pdf make was not added. I did the rest
and it didn't work. When you say make changes keeping the tools
customize dialog box open do you mean I should start again and make my
changes again?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

You do *not* want to distribute a custom template as Normal.dot. Normal.dot
is supposed to be a scratchpad for each individual user. If you want to
distribute macros and toolbars, use an add-in instead; for document
formatting, use custom document templates. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...buteMacros.htm

"Jacqui" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the help I've already received on this. The problem I have
now is that I can't save my customized template. I've created a new
template made customizations and saved it as normalnew. I want to test
it with a couple of users and eventually replace our normal.dot with
it. I've savid the new template using the shift + save all key but
each time I either open the template or open a new doc based on the
template, I have to click on tools, customise then click close before
my new menus appear. On reading up on this it seems that having Adobe
7 installed seems to be the proble, but I thought the shift + save all
would solve this. HELP?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jonathan West Jonathan West is offline

"Jacqui" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks Jonathan. The adobe pdf make was not added. I did the rest
and it didn't work. When you say make changes keeping the tools
customize dialog box open do you mean I should start again and make my
changes again?

If you didn't have the Tools Customize dialog open originally when you made
your changes, then they probably got saved somewhere else - most probably in
normal.dot.

You almost certainly don't want the changes saved there, so you may need to
reset your standard menus first before opening your template, making your
changes and saving the template.

--
Regards
Jonathan West - Word MVP
www.intelligentdocuments.co.uk
Please reply to the newsgroup
Keep your VBA code safe, sign the ClassicVB petition www.classicvb.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jacqui Jacqui is offline

Hi Suzanne. In our firm. We maintain a master normal.dot which
contains all macros, autotext etc and this is copied to the c drive of
each user. We control the autotext, macros, toolbars etc so they can't
create their own. This is the culture in the firm when I joined and
which I have to work with. I've looked at the articles and they're
very helpful - if we do change our practice I'll make sure I refer to
them. In the meantime - why is making such changes to a template so
difficult?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Jacqui:

Well, it's partly because Word is designed to prevent what you are doing :-)

If you use a global add-in and leave the user's Normal.dot alone, you will
have a lot easier time of it.

I don't think you're ever going to get a reliable result by distributing a
"master" Normal.dot, and I would venture to say that you never have had :-)

I guess most users won't tell you about the various ways they re-substitute
their "own" Normal after you've done your distribution :-)

However, if you make the changes to your OWN Normal template, making sure
that you open the template as a document before you start, and that you do
not have any other templates or documents open when you do, you have a
better chance of success.

Make sure you do not run Outlook in the session when you are changing
Normal: log off, log back on without allowing Outlook to start. That kills
the hidden instance of Word that will otherwise hold a second copy of Normal
open in memory, leading to a bit of a lottery as to which version gets
saved.

When you have finished, quite Word and copy your Normal template, then Zip
it before allowing Word or Outlook to start.

Cheers

On 13/9/06 7:40 PM, in article
, "Jacqui"
wrote:

Hi Suzanne. In our firm. We maintain a master normal.dot which
contains all macros, autotext etc and this is copied to the c drive of
each user. We control the autotext, macros, toolbars etc so they can't
create their own. This is the culture in the firm when I joined and
which I have to work with. I've looked at the articles and they're
very helpful - if we do change our practice I'll make sure I refer to
them. In the meantime - why is making such changes to a template so
difficult?

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410