Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
BK BK is offline

Default Tab for outline level not working

Using Word 2003 and typing an outline. I have selected Format | Bullets and
Numbering | Outline Numbered and have selected a style that does not have
the word "heading" in it.

The first level identifier (A) is inserted into my document and I type the
heading. When I hit "enter" I automatically see the next identifier for the
same outline level. In this case, a (B) appears. When I hit the tab key to
indent to the next level which should display a 1), nothing happens. My
text is indented according to the tab spacing, but the (B) remains at the
level one spot and I do not indent to the next outline level unless I click
the appropriate button on the tool bar.

Majorly inconvenient to have to mouse to the tool bar every time I want to
tab in or out to a new outline level.

Am I missing a setting somewhere???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Go to the AutoFormat As You Type tab of Tools | AutoCorrect Options and
check the box for "Set first- and left-indent with tabs and backspaces."
Note that Alt+Shift+Right/Left arrow will also demote/promote outline levels
even when this box is not checked.

"BK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You're welcome, you're welcome, you're welcome.

"BK" wrote in message
Once again: thank you, thank you, thank you.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Go to the AutoFormat As You Type tab of Tools | AutoCorrect Options and
check the box for "Set first- and left-indent with tabs and backspaces."
Note that Alt+Shift+Right/Left arrow will also demote/promote outline
levels
even when this box is not checked.

newsgroup
so