Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
WAYNEL WAYNEL is offline

Default Inserting references without a capital letter

Hi

Does anyone have a solution for inserting references (i.e. from
captions) without it coming up with a capital letter in the front?
From example; if I have a chart title Figure 1, then when inserting it

as a caption it need to be a capital letter. However, when inserting
into text then it may not need to be a capital letter. Yes I can
change it to a lower case but when I update the fields or reload the
doc it turns back to a capital letter.

In summery, how to I maintain the control of choosing a lower or
uppercase character at the beginning of a caption reference in text but
also maintain it format after field updated and also allow the caption
to be in capital all the time?

Cheers

Wayne

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Press Alt+F9 to display field codes. To each REF field (which are used
for cross-references), add \* lower. For example: Change
{ REF _Ref146948309 } to { REF _Ref146948309 \* lower \h }. When you
are done, make sure to select the whole document and then press F9 to
update fields. Press Alt+F9 again to hide field codes.

You can use find and replace to automate this: First, type \* lower
in a document and then cut it to the clipboard. Make sure that field
codes are displayed, and then, on the Edit menu, click Replace. In the
Find and Replace dialog box, click More to display all options. Check
the "Use wildcards" option. In the "Find what" box, type REF *. In
the "Replace with" box, type ^&^c. Then click Replace All.

Note, however, that the find and replace described above will add
\* lower to ANY cross-reference field, not just to figure captions.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"WAYNEL" wrote in message
ups.com...

Hi

Does anyone have a solution for inserting references (i.e. from
captions) without it coming up with a capital letter in the front?
From example; if I have a chart title Figure 1, then when inserting

it
as a caption it need to be a capital letter. However, when

inserting
into text then it may not need to be a capital letter. Yes I can
change it to a lower case but when I update the fields or reload the
doc it turns back to a capital letter.

In summery, how to I maintain the control of choosing a lower or
uppercase character at the beginning of a caption reference in text

but
also maintain it format after field updated and also allow the

caption
to be in capital all the time?

Cheers

Wayne

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
For example: Change
{ REF _Ref146948309 } to { REF _Ref146948309 \* lower \h }.

Correction:
{ REF _Ref146948309 \h } to { REF _Ref146948309 \* lower \h }.

In other words, you don't have to add the \h switch if it isn't
present in the field code in the first place... :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
WAYNEL WAYNEL is offline

Hi Stefan

Thanks, works perfect. Do you know of any newer versions of word that
will have this in as a menus option?

Cheers

WayneL

Stefan Blom wrote:
"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
For example: Change
{ REF _Ref146948309 } to { REF _Ref146948309 \* lower \h }.

Correction:
{ REF _Ref146948309 \h } to { REF _Ref146948309 \* lower \h }.

In other words, you don't have to add the \h switch if it isn't
present in the field code in the first place... :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome.

Word 2007 changes everything in the user interface, but, no, I don't
know if this particular thing is changed. You could post it as a
suggestion via the web interface for newsgroups at
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP