Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Default Space Before and After

I have a document with lots of nested bulleted lists. These lists are
created using List Bullet, List Bullet 2, etc.

I am trying to automate some formatting such that the space before the first
bullet and space after the last bullet is greater than the space between two
adjacent bullets. I can do that with code as follows:

Sub Test()
Dim oPar As Word.Paragraph
For Each oPar In ActiveDocument.Range.Paragraphs
If oPar.Style = "List Bullet 2" Then
If oPar.Previous.Style "List Bullet 2" Then oPar.SpaceBefore = 9
If oPar.Next.Style "List Bullet 2" Then
oPar.SpaceAfter = 9
Else
oPar.SpaceAfter = 3
End If
End If
Next oPar
End Sub

Is there some way to do this with Style formatting? I see in the
FormatParagraphIndents Lines and Spacing Dialog an option to "Don't add
space between paragraphs of the same sytle" but I do want to add a little
space just not as much space as before and after the bullet group.

Is there a better way?

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
DeanH DeanH is offline

I totally support this request. The "Don't add space between paragraphs of
the same style" is ok, but as Greg said, I would like some space after within
the same style as well as different for after the same group.
I would prefer not to have a macro as the templates I will be sending out
will be to people who may not be comfortable using such animals, ie sales
staff ;-)

Does anyone have any ideas.
Many thanks
DeanH

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

One trick I've used is to have a bit of additional space forced by the bullet.

Say you want a big round bullet, you can use a smaller round bullet such as Alt+0149, and give it a larger font size than the text.
That will force a space between the list paragraphs.
You'll likely have to play with the position of the bullet a bit, too (say, lower it a point or two).
If you prefer a square bullet, you can play with U+2584 ("lower half block").

The trick should also work with picture bullets, if you use a picture that is transparent or white at the top.

Klaus

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I'd like to see this, too. I've used the "Don't add space" setting, but I'm
much more likely to want, say, 3 points between list items and 6 or 12
after.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Another way would be to forget about "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style", and achieve additional space above and below the list with a white paragraph border. Between list paragraphs, the border is automatically suppressed.
But as you said, it would be better if there'd be a built-in solution.

Klaus