Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Default TOE Page Numbers and Hyperlinks.

I am working on a long report for this guy (it's a work for food deal) and
it contains about 50 tables and a dozen or so of those tables extend beyond
one page. He wants each table to have a title header row and a caption
containing the label "Table # - The Title Text." The caption is located
adjacent to the foot of the tables.

No problem.

He wants a Table of Exhibits and Tables with active hyperlinks to the
tables.

No Problem.

Here's the problem. He wants the page number shown in the Table of Exhibits
and Tables to reflect the table start page and he wants the hyperlink to
jump to that page.

Once this document is finalized it will be converted to PDF.

That said, my first thought was to place dummy caption text at the foot of
the tables and hide the real caption text either as hidden text above the
table, a colored text that matched the table heading in the table heading,
or as white text in a 1 point paragraph above the text.

The hidden text wouldn't work. Hidden text apparently isn't picked up by
the TOE field. The other two methods were both functionally acceptable, but
there was not way to eliminate the grey field shading of the caption SEQ
field if a user (like me) uses the option to always show field codes.

What I finally decided on was to place a bookmark in the table header,
convert the hyperlink field in the TOE for that table to hard text
(CTRL+SHIFT+F9), manually set the TOE page number, select the line of text
and add a hyperlink to the bookmark, reselect the line of text and reapply
the TOE style to the line.

This seems to work, but I was wondering how others might have dealt with
this issue.

Thanks

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Henk57[_134_] Henk57[_134_] is offline

Greg, I never came across this issue because the convention is to place
table captions ABOVE the table. If you could convince your client to
accept this the problem disappears obviously. But ok, for the purpose
of exploring Word possibilities, here is a possible workaround that
keeps the automatic numbering in place.

Create the table caption, and put it in the table immediately below the
header row (that will presumably repeat). Merge the cells of this
second row. Format the caption as 1 point, grey and color the merged
cell also grey. (Grey is chosen to effectively hide the field shading).
In the table it shows as a thin grey line that appears as a separator
between header and rest of the table.
Now it's a matter of cross-referencing to the caption label, at the
foot of the table. The hyperlink in the TOF will jump to the start of
the actual caption, i.e. the second row (if the repeating header is
just one row, of course).

Of course other formatting may be desirable (e.g. the table borders).
Also, you could place the caption separate from the table preceding the
table (i.e., where the normal caption position would appear) and format
it with a grey background over the width of the table so it looks like
a graphical design issue. This could obviously also be a table cell
for extra graphical effects. This workaround works, but if the client
finds it ugly you don't have much options left as the field gray is in
the way. However, should the final document be converted to pdf, a
white font for the caption could be chosen.

I hope this works for you. At least it keeps the auto-numbering system
in place (what if your client wants to add another table in the
beginning of the document?) and is less elaborative than your solution
I think.