Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Peyton Todd Peyton Todd is offline

Default Heading 4 Doesn't Know It's a Child of Heading 3

Hello. I'm writing a document with lots of headings, numbered in the style
1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.1.1, etc. Down through level 3 my headings are all working
properly, but I have now reached the level of detail where I require a level
4. I modified the existing level 4 to have the right font and number
properties; however, when I place that section in its appropriate position,
it comes out simply as 1.1.1.1, and the next heading below that comes out as
1.1.1.2. But they are sub-headings to 9.3.3, so they should be numbered as
9.3.3.1 and 9.3.3.2. How to I tell them who their parent heading is?

Thanks for your help,
--
Peyton Todd
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
DeanH DeanH is offline

Modify Heading 4, Numbering, Customise, More. Link Level to Syle - Heading 4,
Restart numbering after - Level 3.
That should do it, if all else is correct.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Peyton Todd" wrote:

Hello. I'm writing a document with lots of headings, numbered in the style
1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.1.1, etc. Down through level 3 my headings are all working
properly, but I have now reached the level of detail where I require a level
4. I modified the existing level 4 to have the right font and number
properties; however, when I place that section in its appropriate position,
it comes out simply as 1.1.1.1, and the next heading below that comes out as
1.1.1.2. But they are sub-headings to 9.3.3, so they should be numbered as
9.3.3.1 and 9.3.3.2. How to I tell them who their parent heading is?

Thanks for your help,
--
Peyton Todd

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Did you make sure to add the numbering of previous levels by selecting the
levels, one by one, in the Customize Outline Numbered List / Define New
Multilevel List dialog box (as opposed to typing the numbers, in which case
they will be static text)? For details, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peyton Todd" wrote in message
Hello. I'm writing a document with lots of headings, numbered in the style
1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.1.1, etc. Down through level 3 my headings are all working
properly, but I have now reached the level of detail where I require a
level
4. I modified the existing level 4 to have the right font and number
properties; however, when I place that section in its appropriate
position,
it comes out simply as 1.1.1.1, and the next heading below that comes out
as
1.1.1.2. But they are sub-headings to 9.3.3, so they should be numbered as
9.3.3.1 and 9.3.3.2. How to I tell them who their parent heading is?

Thanks for your help,
--
Peyton Todd

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Peyton Todd Peyton Todd is offline

Alas, when I tried that, I found that everything was already set in exactly
the way you described. I went through the drill anyway, just clicking Okay,
then again clicking Okay with both of the level 4 headings selected and with
'Automatically update' checked. To no avail. The headings still read 1.1.1.1
and 1.1.1.2, not 9.3.3.1 and 9.3.3.2 as they should. So perhaps, as you
suggest, all else is not correct. What else might it be?
--
Peyton Todd

"Peyton Todd" wrote:

Hello. I'm writing a document with lots of headings, numbered in the style
1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.1.1, etc. Down through level 3 my headings are all working
properly, but I have now reached the level of detail where I require a level
4. I modified the existing level 4 to have the right font and number
properties; however, when I place that section in its appropriate position,
it comes out simply as 1.1.1.1, and the next heading below that comes out as
1.1.1.2. But they are sub-headings to 9.3.3, so they should be numbered as
9.3.3.1 and 9.3.3.2. How to I tell them who their parent heading is?

Thanks for your help,
--
Peyton Todd

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Make sure that all your headings are part of the same list. Heed Shauna's
warning (http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html)
always to modify lower-level styles by going in through Heading 1.

"Peyton Todd" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Peyton Todd Peyton Todd is offline

Thanks, Suzanne. You came to my rescue once again! Even following the
instructions as best as I could, a few things still worked out strangely. But
I finally have it working now.
--
Peyton Todd