Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
ckiefer ckiefer is offline

Default Table of Contents Question

How can the amount of indentation for Table of Content heading be
changed?

I've defined two custom headings (no problem there)

I have the first setting set to level 1 and the second set to level 2,
but microsoft must have a default on the amount of indentation that
level 2 has and level 3 and so on. I need to adjust this level to make
things in the TOC align.

I have something like

ABC 1000 (in the body of the paper these are defined as heading 1)
1010 (these as heading 2)
1020
ABC 2000
2010
ABC 3000
ABC 4000
4010
4020
4030
and so on......

problem is with the built-in amount of indentation, I can't get the
numbers to line-up. The TOC looks like

ABC 1000
1010
1020
ABC 2000

--
ckiefer

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
ckiefer[_2_] ckiefer[_2_] is offline

I have another question, however, first wanted to say 'Thanks'. Figured
it was something simple. I did see the TOC modify windows, but made the
mistake of assuming it was different TOCs in a document vs TOC levels.
BTW, it is interesting that none of the formatting I put in the posting
remained, good thing you were saavy enough to understand the issue.
Here's my next hurdle.

I have paragraphs that look like

1.0 xxxxxxx
1.1 xxxxxxx
followed by the
ABC 1000 xxxxxx

In the TOC, I want to insert a tab between the 1.0 and xxxxx so the TOC
titles will align. e.g.

Par # Title
1.0 xxxxxx
1.1 xxxxxx
ABC 1000 xxxxxx

'Summer[_5_ Wrote:
;2652385']Modify TOC1 TOC2 TOC3 etc to have tab indents as you wish
(separate styles
for TOCS)

"ckiefer" wrote in message
...-

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Summer Summer is offline

In TOC1, 2, 3 etc set the hanging indent with a tab set wide enough - eg
0.7 inches or whatever works, the hanging indent look like

ABC 1000 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hope this helps.

'Summer[_5_ Wrote:
;2652385']Modify TOC1 TOC2 TOC3 etc to have tab indents as you wish
(separate styles
for TOCS)

"ckiefer" wrote in message
...-

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
ckiefer[_3_] ckiefer[_3_] is offline

Cool! Thanks for the help. I finally realized I had to go put tabs in
the paragraphs in order to have a 'hanging' tab. Then the text would
only move over so far. Had to change the page tab setting (reduce it)
and finally got the text to align.

--
ckiefer

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Ordinarily, when you create a hanging indent, Word sets a tab stop at the
indent point. But this is controlled by a Compatibility option (Tools |
Options | Compatibility), so you might check to make sure that "Don't add
automatic tab for hanging indent" is not checked.