Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] LadyDungeness@Fish.Net is offline

Default Change Footnote Defaults

Word XP/2002.
I've got a custom template. I want to force footnotes to restart numbering for every section. Can I set that up as the
default for this template?

Lady Dungeness
Crabby, but Great Legs!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Open the document as a template, via File | Open, and then set the desired
restart option for footnotes. The chosen setting will then be used for each
document based on the template.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
news
Word XP/2002.
I've got a custom template. I want to force footnotes to restart
numbering for every section. Can I set that up as the
default for this template?

Lady Dungeness
Crabby, but Great Legs!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] LadyDungeness@Fish.Net is offline

Thanks again, Stephan. I did it! The only hard part is navigating to where the Templates are. It's like those little
wooden Russian dolls -- always another one inside.

Lady Dungeness
Crabby, but Great Legs!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Tue, 6 May 2008 12:10:15 +0200, "Stefan Blom" wrote:

Open the document as a template, via File | Open, and then set the desired
restart option for footnotes. The chosen setting will then be used for each
document based on the template.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm glad you got it sorted, even though I reversed the order of "document"
and "template" in my reply ("open the document as a template" which of
course should read "open the template as a document"). :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote:

Open the document as a template, via File | Open, and then set the desired
restart option for footnotes. The chosen setting will then be used for
each
document based on the template.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] LadyDungeness@Fish.Net is offline

Thanks for the suggestion. My Places Bar is full but your idea made me think creatively. Doh! I decided to put a shortcut
into the folder where I'm working on these documents. :-)

Thanks!

On Tue, 6 May 2008 13:24:39 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Word 2007 has the Templates folder on the Places Bar to start with, but I
have found it very worthwhile to put it there in Word 2003.

Lady Dungeness
Crabby, but Great Legs!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Although the Places Bar is not infinitely expandable, do you realize that:

1. You can resize the Open and Save dialogs? This makes the Places Bar
larger.

2. You can use Small Icons in the Places Bar? This allows you to have more.

3. You can move icons up and down on the Places Bar? Even the ones that are
not visible (below the dialog) can be accessed via the arrow, and you can
move things up and down as their frequency of use changes (and you can move
the ones that MS includes and won't let you remove to the bottom of the
list).