Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
charles charles is offline

Default filling a box around a single word

In earlier versions of Word it was easy to select a word. Click to surround
it in an outline, then go to Borders and Shading and fill it with a shade
that was behind the text. (I used this often to represent a software button
in the middle of a paragraph of text.)

Vista has forced me to use Office 2007 and it seems impossible to do this
now. I can't seem to get to a fill dialogue box for the outlined text. Does
anyone know of a way to do this in 2007?

TIA,
- charles
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

charles wrote:
In earlier versions of Word it was easy to select a word. Click to
surround it in an outline, then go to Borders and Shading and fill it
with a shade that was behind the text. (I used this often to
represent a software button in the middle of a paragraph of text.)

Vista has forced me to use Office 2007 and it seems impossible to do
this now. I can't seem to get to a fill dialogue box for the outlined
text. Does anyone know of a way to do this in 2007?

TIA,
- charles

Select the word or phrase. On the Home ribbon, in the Paragraph group, click
the down arrow next to the Borders and Shading button (rightmost in the
bottom row) and choose Borders and Shading from the bottom of the dropdown
menu. That brings you to the same dialog you had in Word 2003 and earlier,
with borders on one tab and shading on another.

It's also a misconception that Vista "forced" you to use Office 2007. Office
2003 runs perfectly well on Vista -- in fact, I run both versions side by
side.

You may want to use the interactive command guide at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...744321033.aspx to "translate"
from 2003 to 2007.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
charles charles is offline

Thanks Jay, it looks so obvious now, but I couldn't find it using help.

And thanks for the correction about Word 2003. I may install it on the
Vista computer now. I can't find any improvements in 2007 that inspire me
to use it. Changing the interface so radically was no favor to people
who've been using the software for decades.

Also thanks for that interactive command guide. That looks really
valuable.

I'm in your debt.

- charles

"Jay Freedman" wrote in