Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Steve T[_2_] Steve T[_2_] is offline

Default Word 2007 H&S changing the default line spacing

I read the 6-25 posts and responses. I am unable to get the default to save
to single spacing. Although the steps in the previous posts were a little
different than what I see, I found the correct places to make the changes.
It will not save "New documents based on this template". It always reverts
back to "Only in this document". Please advise. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

That behavior is by design. Word only transfers style settings to the
template when you tell it to do so.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Steve T" wrote in message
I read the 6-25 posts and responses. I am unable to get the default to
save
to single spacing. Although the steps in the previous posts were a little
different than what I see, I found the correct places to make the changes.
It will not save "New documents based on this template". It always
reverts
back to "Only in this document". Please advise. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Open normal.dotm. Set the style at the cursor to the no spacing style (or
edit the normal style to have no spacing) type a character. Delete it and
save the template.

"Steve T" wrote in message
I read the 6-25 posts and responses. I am unable to get the
default to save
to single spacing. Although the steps in the previous posts were a
little different than what I see, I found the correct places to
make the changes. It will not save "New documents based on this
template". It always reverts
back to "Only in this document". Please advise. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Steve T[_2_] Steve T[_2_] is offline

I did exactly as advised for both scenarios. What now happens is when I open
a new document and start typing and if I hit return, it double spaces. Any
return or new line after that is single spaced. If I type a full sentance
with no return or new line and let it automatically word wrap, it single
spaces. How do I correct this?

"Steve T" wrote in message
I read the 6-25 posts and responses. I am unable to get the
default to save
to single spacing. Although the steps in the previous posts were a
little different than what I see, I found the correct places to
make the changes. It will not save "New documents based on this
template". It always reverts
back to "Only in this document". Please advise. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

What does the style indicator suggest are the styles at the cursor on the
first line and on the subsequent paragraphs?
How are those styles setup with relation to both the paragraph spacing, line
spacing and following paragraph?
Change those three parameters to achieve the require results.

Steve T wrote:
I did exactly as advised for both scenarios. What now happens is
when I open a new document and start typing and if I hit return, it
double spaces. Any return or new line after that is single spaced.
If I type a full sentence with no return or new line and let it

"Steve T" wrote in message
I read the 6-25 posts and responses. I am unable to get the
default to save
to single spacing. Although the steps in the previous posts were
a little different than what I see, I found the correct places to
make the changes. It will not save "New documents based on this
template". It always reverts
back to "Only in this document". Please advise. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Make sure to set Spacing Before/After to zero for the style you are using.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Steve T" wrote in message
I read the 6-25 posts and responses. I am unable to get the
default to save
to single spacing. Although the steps in the previous posts were a
little different than what I see, I found the correct places to
make the changes. It will not save "New documents based on this
template". It always reverts
back to "Only in this document". Please advise. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Steve T[_2_] Steve T[_2_] is offline

Here is the description of Normal as described in Modify for Normal style:

Font: (Default) +Body, Left, Line spacing: single, Space After: 10 pt,
Widow/Orphan control, Style: Quick Style, Following style: No Spacing

I still cannot correct this. Thanks for the help!!

"Steve T" wrote in message
I read the 6-25 posts and responses. I am unable to get the
default to save
to single spacing. Although the steps in the previous posts were a
little different than what I see, I found the correct places to
make the changes. It will not save "New documents based on this
template". It always reverts
back to "Only in this document". Please advise. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm glad you got it sorted.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Steve T" wrote in message
I read the 6-25 posts and responses. I am unable to get the
default to save
to single spacing. Although the steps in the previous posts
were a
little different than what I see, I found the correct places to
make the changes. It will not save "New documents based on this
template". It always reverts
back to "Only in this document". Please advise. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dave D[_2_] Dave D[_2_] is offline

this works too:
open a new doc, click page layout tab, set the 'after' spacing from 10 to 0,
then directly under that where it says 'paragraph' there is a little button
to the right that opens the paragraph dialog box. when that opens there is a
'Default...' button. click that and it asks if you want to save these
settings as the default for 'Normal' layout. click yes. close word and go
back in, it will always default to single spaced.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

I'm glad you got it sorted.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Steve T" wrote in message
I read the 6-25 posts and responses. I am unable to get the
default to save
to single spacing. Although the steps in the previous posts
were a
little different than what I see, I found the correct places to
make the changes. It will not save "New documents based on this
template". It always reverts
back to "Only in this document". Please advise. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Assuming that I remember correctly, updating the template was part of the
OP's problem, which is why it was suggested that he should open the Normal
template directly. (The underlying issue in such cases might be a poorly
designed add-in preventing Word from saving to the Normal template.) Under
normal circumstances, though, what you are suggesting should be working.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Dave D" Dave wrote in message
this works too:
open a new doc, click page layout tab, set the 'after' spacing from 10 to
0,
then directly under that where it says 'paragraph' there is a little
button
to the right that opens the paragraph dialog box. when that opens there is
'Default...' button. click that and it asks if you want to save these
settings as the default for 'Normal' layout. click yes. close word and go
back in, it will always default to single spaced.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

I'm glad you got it sorted.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Open normal.dotm. Set the style at the cursor to the no spacing
style (or
edit the normal style to have no spacing) type a character.
it and
save the template.

My web site
www.gmayor.com