Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeeDeeCee DeeDeeCee is offline

Default Advanced calculations in tables--Question 2

On the Invoice Template I have, there is a column showing the number of
hours worked on a given day. I know I can use a formula like =sum(C1:C7), if
I have exactly 7 days worked. But the number of days on a bill varies, and
often I add lots of rows to the bill, so the column length can vary from 3 to
20. Still, I'd like to have a formula in my template that simply adds up all
the cells above the formula, regardless of how many there end up being. Is
there any such thing? Thanks.

ddc
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:52:02 -0700, DeeDeeCee
wrote:

On the Invoice Template I have, there is a column showing the number of
hours worked on a given day. I know I can use a formula like =sum(C1:C7), if
I have exactly 7 days worked. But the number of days on a bill varies, and
often I add lots of rows to the bill, so the column length can vary from 3 to
20. Still, I'd like to have a formula in my template that simply adds up all
the cells above the formula, regardless of how many there end up being. Is
there any such thing? Thanks.

ddc

You can use the formula =SUM(ABOVE). But be aware of a few possible
problems with that, as described in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...eIncorrect.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

To see how to do a wide range of other calculations in Word, check out my Word Field Maths Tutorial, at:
http://www.wopr.com/index.php?showtopic=365442
or
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm#Third_party

--
Cheers
macropod

"DeeDeeCee" wrote in message ...

On the Invoice Template I have, there is a column showing the number of
hours worked on a given day. I know I can use a formula like =sum(C1:C7), if
I have exactly 7 days worked. But the number of days on a bill varies, and
often I add lots of rows to the bill, so the column length can vary from 3 to
20. Still, I'd like to have a formula in my template that simply adds up all
the cells above the formula, regardless of how many there end up being. Is
there any such thing? Thanks.

ddc

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeeDeeCee DeeDeeCee is offline

Thanks, Mr. Pod. Your site is truly great, and I've saved both the document
on Word Math Fields and the web-address for future use.

"DeeDeeCee" wrote in message ...

On the Invoice Template I have, there is a column showing the number of
hours worked on a given day. I know I can use a formula like =sum(C1:C7), if
I have exactly 7 days worked. But the number of days on a bill varies, and
often I add lots of rows to the bill, so the column length can vary from 3 to
20. Still, I'd like to have a formula in my template that simply adds up all
the cells above the formula, regardless of how many there end up being. Is
there any such thing? Thanks.

ddc

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Samy Samy is offline

Hi Macropod, what an awesome doc need to know how I can round down a decimal
point my formula is SUM(ABOVE)*.14 amd I need to round down if the result is
under 0.05. All the examples I have seen and tried round to a full number.

Thanks Sam

"DeeDeeCee" wrote in message ...

On the Invoice Template I have, there is a column showing the number of
hours worked on a given day. I know I can use a formula like =sum(C1:C7), if
I have exactly 7 days worked. But the number of days on a bill varies, and
often I add lots of rows to the bill, so the column length can vary from 3 to
20. Still, I'd like to have a formula in my template that simply adds up all
the cells above the formula, regardless of how many there end up being. Is
there any such thing? Thanks.

ddc

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Sammy,

Perhaps the simplest way is to divide the number by the precision you require, before getting the integer value, then multiply the
integer value by that same precision afterwards. For example:
{=INT(SUM(5.53244,6.67432,7.75021)/0.05)*0.05 \# 0.00000}
returns 19.95, whereas the unrounded value is 19.95697

--
Cheers
macropod

"DeeDeeCee" wrote in message ...

On the Invoice Template I have, there is a column showing the number of
hours worked on a given day. I know I can use a formula like =sum(C1:C7), if
I have exactly 7 days worked. But the number of days on a bill varies, and
often I add lots of rows to the bill, so the column length can vary from 3 to
20. Still, I'd like to have a formula in my template that simply adds up all
the cells above the formula, regardless of how many there end up being. Is
there any such thing? Thanks.

ddc

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Samy Samy is offline

Thanks will give that a shot.

"DeeDeeCee" wrote in message ...

On the Invoice Template I have, there is a column showing the number of
hours worked on a given day. I know I can use a formula like =sum(C1:C7), if
I have exactly 7 days worked. But the number of days on a bill varies, and
often I add lots of rows to the bill, so the column length can vary from 3 to
20. Still, I'd like to have a formula in my template that simply adds up all
the cells above the formula, regardless of how many there end up being. Is
there any such thing? Thanks.

ddc

Advanced calculations in tables--Question 1 DeeDeeCee Tables 2 October 1st 09 06:18 AM
calculations in tables LM Tables 8 June 22nd 07 03:04 PM
Advanced MS Word Template Design Question: Version 2 lettermail Microsoft Word Help 4 November 14th 06 03:23 PM
Calculations in tables oe New Users 1 April 1st 06 06:22 PM
Calculations in tables oe New Users 8 February 25th 06 12:58 PM