Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Avatar Avatar is offline

Default Mail merge, DDE conection, Word 2000 vs 2007

Hello,

I have some mail merge word document linked with an excel data source.
They were made with word2000 and everything is OK with word2000.

When I open my word document with word2007, I have the following error :
"Word could not re-establish a DDE connection to Microsoft Excel to complete
the current task. "

However, word open simultaneously the excel source file.

If I first open the excel source file, the word document opens correctly,
and the mail merging is functioning.

If anyone knows how to fix it...

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

In Word 2008, if you click on the Office button and then on Word Options and
then on Advance and scroll down to the General section of the dialog and
then check the box for "Confirm file format conversion on open", when you
attach the data source to the mail merge main document, you will be
presented with a dialog box via which you can select the method by which the
data source should be attached. Try using one of the other methods as DDE
is somewhat ancient technology.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.
"Avatar" wrote in message
Hello,

I have some mail merge word document linked with an excel data source.
They were made with word2000 and everything is OK with word2000.

When I open my word document with word2007, I have the following error :
"Word could not re-establish a DDE connection to Microsoft Excel to
complete
the current task. "

However, word open simultaneously the excel source file.

If I first open the excel source file, the word document opens correctly,
and the mail merging is functioning.

If anyone knows how to fix it...

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Avatar Avatar is offline

Thanks for answering.

I've already done that.
If I choose the DDE option in this opening menu, everything is fine but Word
wont "remeber" the setting when I open a second time the file.
I've quite a lot of files and I'd like not to recreate all those files using
an another method....

.