Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Senthil Senthil is offline

Default Problem converting tet to table

Hi,

I am trying to convert text to table in Microsoft Word 2007. I'll explain my
problem with a small example.

Take the following list

Item1
Item2
Item3
Item4
------
------

If we choose the above text and select "Convert Text to Table", and select 2
columns, the table will be like this -

Item1 Item2
Item3 Item4
------ ------

In other words, the cells are populated in the first row, and then the
second row starts being populated.

But I want the table to be populated row-first. I want to be able to choose
3 rows and the table should appear like

Item1 Item3
Item2 Item4
------ ------

How can I do it? I've played around withthe dialog but couldn't find a way.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Using mailmerge to a document that you set as a label type maindocument that
contains the table, you can do it by running the following macro to
re-arrange a data source that contains you list of items:

' Macro to assign numbers to data source so that it can be sorted to cause
labels to print down columns
Dim Message, Title, Default, labelrows, labelcolumns, i As Integer, j As
Integer, k As Integer
Message = "Enter the number of labels in a row" ' Set prompt.
Title = "Labels per Row" ' Set title.
Default = "3" ' Set default.
' Display message, title, and default value.
labelcolumns = InputBox(Message, Title, Default)
Message = "Enter the number of labels in a column" ' Set prompt.
Title = "Labels per column" ' Set title.
Default = "5" ' Set default.
labelrows = InputBox(Message, Title, Default)
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns.Add
BeforeColumn:=ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns(1)
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows(1).Range.Cut
k = 1
For i = 1 To ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows.Count - labelcolumns
For j = 1 To labelrows
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Cell(i, 1).Range.InsertBefore k + (j - 1) *
labelcolumns
i = i + 1
Next j
k = k + 1
i = i - 1
If k Mod labelcolumns = 1 Then k = k - labelcolumns + labelcolumns *
labelrows
Next i
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Sort FieldNumber:="Column 1"
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows(1).Select
Selection.Paste
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns(1).Delete

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Senthil" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Senthil Senthil is offline

Yes, exactly. I want newspaper style columns,
First column should be filled first, then the next, etc..
How can I do it?

- Senthil Kumar

"Senthil" wrote in message
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Select the text you want in columns then Page Layout Tab Columns - select
the number of columns.