Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Senthil Senthil is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default Problem converting tet to table

Hi,

I am trying to convert text to table in Microsoft Word 2007. I'll explain my
problem with a small example.

Take the following list

Item1
Item2
Item3
Item4
------
------

If we choose the above text and select "Convert Text to Table", and select 2
columns, the table will be like this -

Item1 Item2
Item3 Item4
------ ------

In other words, the cells are populated in the first row, and then the
second row starts being populated.

But I want the table to be populated row-first. I want to be able to choose
3 rows and the table should appear like

Item1 Item3
Item2 Item4
------ ------

How can I do it? I've played around withthe dialog but couldn't find a way.

Thanks.
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Doug Robbins - Word MVP Doug Robbins - Word MVP is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,832
Default Problem converting tet to table

Using mailmerge to a document that you set as a label type maindocument that
contains the table, you can do it by running the following macro to
re-arrange a data source that contains you list of items:

' Macro to assign numbers to data source so that it can be sorted to cause
labels to print down columns
Dim Message, Title, Default, labelrows, labelcolumns, i As Integer, j As
Integer, k As Integer
Message = "Enter the number of labels in a row" ' Set prompt.
Title = "Labels per Row" ' Set title.
Default = "3" ' Set default.
' Display message, title, and default value.
labelcolumns = InputBox(Message, Title, Default)
Message = "Enter the number of labels in a column" ' Set prompt.
Title = "Labels per column" ' Set title.
Default = "5" ' Set default.
labelrows = InputBox(Message, Title, Default)
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns.Add
BeforeColumn:=ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns(1)
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows(1).Range.Cut
k = 1
For i = 1 To ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows.Count - labelcolumns
For j = 1 To labelrows
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Cell(i, 1).Range.InsertBefore k + (j - 1) *
labelcolumns
i = i + 1
Next j
k = k + 1
i = i - 1
If k Mod labelcolumns = 1 Then k = k - labelcolumns + labelcolumns *
labelrows
Next i
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Sort FieldNumber:="Column 1"
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows(1).Select
Selection.Paste
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns(1).Delete


--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com

"Senthil" wrote in message
...
Hi,

I am trying to convert text to table in Microsoft Word 2007. I'll explain
my
problem with a small example.

Take the following list

Item1
Item2
Item3
Item4
------
------

If we choose the above text and select "Convert Text to Table", and select
2
columns, the table will be like this -

Item1 Item2
Item3 Item4
------ ------

In other words, the cells are populated in the first row, and then the
second row starts being populated.

But I want the table to be populated row-first. I want to be able to
choose
3 rows and the table should appear like

Item1 Item3
Item2 Item4
------ ------

How can I do it? I've played around withthe dialog but couldn't find a
way.

Thanks.


  #3   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Suzanne S. Barnhill Suzanne S. Barnhill is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 33,624
Default Problem converting tet to table

Perhaps what you actually want is "Newspaper-style" columns?

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"Senthil" wrote in message
...
Hi,

I am trying to convert text to table in Microsoft Word 2007. I'll explain
my
problem with a small example.

Take the following list

Item1
Item2
Item3
Item4
------
------

If we choose the above text and select "Convert Text to Table", and select
2
columns, the table will be like this -

Item1 Item2
Item3 Item4
------ ------

In other words, the cells are populated in the first row, and then the
second row starts being populated.

But I want the table to be populated row-first. I want to be able to
choose
3 rows and the table should appear like

Item1 Item3
Item2 Item4
------ ------

How can I do it? I've played around withthe dialog but couldn't find a
way.

Thanks.


  #4   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Senthil Senthil is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default Problem converting tet to table

Yes, exactly. I want newspaper style columns,
First column should be filled first, then the next, etc..
How can I do it?

- Senthil Kumar

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Perhaps what you actually want is "Newspaper-style" columns?

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"Senthil" wrote in message
...
Hi,

I am trying to convert text to table in Microsoft Word 2007. I'll explain
my
problem with a small example.

Take the following list

Item1
Item2
Item3
Item4
------
------

If we choose the above text and select "Convert Text to Table", and select
2
columns, the table will be like this -

Item1 Item2
Item3 Item4
------ ------

In other words, the cells are populated in the first row, and then the
second row starts being populated.

But I want the table to be populated row-first. I want to be able to
choose
3 rows and the table should appear like

Item1 Item3
Item2 Item4
------ ------

How can I do it? I've played around withthe dialog but couldn't find a
way.

Thanks.


.

  #5   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19,312
Default Problem converting tet to table

Select the text you want in columns then Page Layout Tab Columns - select
the number of columns.

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org



Senthil wrote:
Yes, exactly. I want newspaper style columns,
First column should be filled first, then the next, etc..
How can I do it?

- Senthil Kumar

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Perhaps what you actually want is "Newspaper-style" columns?

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"Senthil" wrote in message
...
Hi,

I am trying to convert text to table in Microsoft Word 2007. I'll
explain my
problem with a small example.

Take the following list

Item1
Item2
Item3
Item4
------
------

If we choose the above text and select "Convert Text to Table", and
select 2
columns, the table will be like this -

Item1 Item2
Item3 Item4
------ ------

In other words, the cells are populated in the first row, and then
the second row starts being populated.

But I want the table to be populated row-first. I want to be able to
choose
3 rows and the table should appear like

Item1 Item3
Item2 Item4
------ ------

How can I do it? I've played around withthe dialog but couldn't
find a way.

Thanks.


.





  #6   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Senthil Senthil is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default Problem converting tet to table

That worked! Thanks a lot

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Select the text you want in columns then Page Layout Tab Columns - select
the number of columns.

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org



Senthil wrote:
Yes, exactly. I want newspaper style columns,
First column should be filled first, then the next, etc..
How can I do it?

- Senthil Kumar

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Perhaps what you actually want is "Newspaper-style" columns?

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"Senthil" wrote in message
...
Hi,

I am trying to convert text to table in Microsoft Word 2007. I'll
explain my
problem with a small example.

Take the following list

Item1
Item2
Item3
Item4
------
------

If we choose the above text and select "Convert Text to Table", and
select 2
columns, the table will be like this -

Item1 Item2
Item3 Item4
------ ------

In other words, the cells are populated in the first row, and then
the second row starts being populated.

But I want the table to be populated row-first. I want to be able to
choose
3 rows and the table should appear like

Item1 Item3
Item2 Item4
------ ------

How can I do it? I've played around withthe dialog but couldn't
find a way.

Thanks.


.



.

Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A problem while converting to PDF! AMiN Microsoft Word Help 9 May 27th 07 10:51 PM
Problem converting to PDF Peyton Todd Microsoft Word Help 4 April 25th 07 03:48 AM
Problem Converting Textbox to Frame Sarena Microsoft Word Help 2 February 22nd 07 11:27 AM
problem with converting from this font... textured Microsoft Word Help 7 August 15th 06 01:21 PM
Converting a Word Table into an Excel Table? Miss Need to Know Tables 1 May 27th 05 12:57 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:58 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Word"