Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stephanie Haiko Stephanie Haiko is offline

Default Typing message error

I have an Asus Eee PC netbook which came with a Microsoft Works 2007 trial.
I'm unable to type anything on a Word document. An error message flashes
briefly at the bottom of the screen, "This modification is not allowed
because the selection is locked." I'm baffled. Is this a computer problem
or a Works problem and how can this be fixed? Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I would be surprised if any system nowadays came with a Works trial; more
likely it is an Office 2007 trial (and if it *is* Works, then you're in the
wrong discussion group). If the computer is quite new, then you are getting
the message because you haven't activated the trial. If you've been using it
a while, then the trial has probably expired.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stephanie Haiko" Stephanie wrote in
message ...
I have an Asus Eee PC netbook which came with a Microsoft Works 2007 trial.
I'm unable to type anything on a Word document. An error message flashes
briefly at the bottom of the screen, "This modification is not allowed
because the selection is locked." I'm baffled. Is this a computer
problem
or a Works problem and how can this be fixed? Thank you.

skypilotpete skypilotpete is offline
Junior Member

As far as I can tell, Microsoft Works 9 does not include Word as part of the package, trial or otherwise. It has its own Works word processing software. Your trial version of Works will not give you access to Word. It sounds as if your computer has a locked version of Word on it, which you will have to pay for if you want to get any access to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post
I would be surprised if any system nowadays came with a Works trial; more
likely it is an Office 2007 trial (and if it *is* Works, then you're in the
wrong discussion group). If the computer is quite new, then you are getting
the message because you haven't activated the trial. If you've been using it
a while, then the trial has probably expired.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stephanie Haiko" Stephanie wrote in
message ...
I have an Asus Eee PC netbook which came with a Microsoft Works 2007 trial.
I'm unable to type anything on a Word document. An error message flashes
briefly at the bottom of the screen, "This modification is not allowed
because the selection is locked." I'm baffled. Is this a computer
problem
or a Works problem and how can this be fixed? Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default Images in tables display issue

I suggest updating both your printer and graphics drivers to the latest
versions to see if that eliminates the display error. Either could cause it.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"skypilotpete" wrote in message

When I insert an image into a cell within a table, I always end up with
a small white gap between the bottom of the image and the bottom border
of the table. This appears only to be an issue with the on-screen
display, because when I print out the image the gap isn't there.

This is very frustrating, as I spent a very, very long time trying to
get rid of this space before I decided to print out the page to make
sure it wasn't just an on-screen display issue.

Is this a known bug with Windows 2003, or is there something more that
I can do to make my on-screen display within Word appear exactly as it
will when it is printed?

I use Windows 2003, Windows XP Pro SP3.

My table settings a
Automatically resize to fit contents: unchecked
All internal margins set to zero
Row set to Exactly the height of the image
Column set to the width of the image
Allow row to break across pages: unchecked.

--
skypilotpete