Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] wolf_tracks@invalid.com is offline

Default MS Office Word 2007 Has Stopped Working

I'm using Subject Word under Win7. That's a message I get after I close
Word 2007. It seems like the doc produced or modified works, but
produces that message. What's up?

Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
over a lifetime:
Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can
Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

-- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

That ludicrous signature block is longer than the question. It is totally
inappropriate to push your green-huggers propaganda in this newsgroup and
who cares about your location? Save the world: stop the waffle.

The message you receive on closing Word is usually a symptom of a Word Data
Key corruption - usually because Word has been running when updates are
installed.

Run Regedit and expand by double-clicking to the key below. With DATA
selected, press DELETE. Word will automatically recreate a new key when it
is restarted.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord\Data

Symptoms of Data Key corruption include:

. The mouse does not work when you use Word.
. You cannot open a Word document from the Search window in Windows
Vista.
. You cannot open a Word document from Windows Desktop Search.
. Word crashes when you try to start or exit Word.
. Word crashes when you open the Open dialog box.
. Word crashes when you save a document.
. Word crashes when you close a document.

If you feel uncomfortable editing the registry yourself, Microsoft have a
fix that will do this for you.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940791 and press FixIt

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

wrote in message
I'm using Subject Word under Win7. That's a message I get after I close
Word 2007. It seems like the doc produced or modified works, but produces
that message. What's up?

Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
over a lifetime:
Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can
Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

-- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] wolf_tracks@invalid.com is offline

Default MS Office Word 2007 Has Stopped Working--Win7

On 2/27/2010 1:43 AM, Terry Farrell wrote:
[...]

I'd prefer to have MS fix it per link above. However, when I try, it
apparently applies to Vista. I'm using Win7.

So you think that scientific fact is not true?

Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
over a lifetime:
Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can
Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

-- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

It is appropriate to Word 2007 whether in Vista or Windows 7. I can see it
for both Office 12 and Office 14 in Windows 7.

Terry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

You totally missed the point. No one gives a dam where you live or at what
height, nor do they want or need to know about electricity used over a life
time. This is a WORD newsgroup and you are just wasting bandwidth.

Terry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I'm not sure as I have never had to use it. Did you actually get an error
saying it was for Vista?

Terry

wrote in message
On 2/27/2010 9:46 AM, Terry Farrell wrote:
It is appropriate to Word 2007 whether in Vista or Windows 7. I can see
it for both Office 12 and Office 14 in Windows 7.

Terry

Why didn't it work?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On 2/27/2010 3:54 PM, Terry Farrell wrote:
I'm not sure as I have never had to use it. Did you actually get an
error saying it was for Vista?

Terry

Yes, I did. At the top of the page link you gave it says:

How do I fix the problem that I experience after I install an automatic
update for Word 2007 on a Windows Vista-based computer?

If I click the icon to fixit, it downloads a file. If I run the msi
file, it says, "this MS Fix it does not apply to your OS or app
version." It gives me the choice to get online help now. OK,let's see
what this gets me. I finally arrive at a place where I need to provide
an activation number to determine if I get free support.

OK, let's see about that. I wonder where on the box that might be? Two
different #s on the top of the box. Cute. The message offers to show me
where it is. "Click the MS Office Button, the Prog Name Options" No such
button. What fun. If I go to Start, and click on MS Word 2007, a tabbed
dialog appears. Zippo use for the number.

I cannot even find a text box to enter the number it might be. Ah, now
I'm on paid support.

Byb-bye MS.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] wolf_tracks@invalid.com is offline

What a wild goose chase. I finally called HP tech support, and they
suggested I remove any reference to the 60 day trial version, and then
uninstall Office 2007. I did and it's all done. I have no idea why I
started getting the messages I reported. So I am done. This W7
machine is 80 days old, so I've got a long way to go on their support.

I've probably posted over 200 messages with the signature file that
include nuclear power, and not a single person has complained. I've
probably posted 20K messages, even 30-40K messages, with my name and
geolocation, and maybe 5 people had something to about it. So get used
to it. Mail programs have a provision for sig files, so why not use it?

--

Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
over a lifetime:
Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can
Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

-- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

MS don't make it clear do they? So many computers are coming with trial
version of Office 2007, but there is nowhere to warn you to uninstall it
before installing a retail copy. It causes some strange symptoms if you
don't uninstall first.

I can't see why the trial version doesn't just let you enter a valid product
code for it to continue working seamlessly. Think of the savings for
everyone if you could just purchase a product code!

Terry

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
bj bj is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
MS don't make it clear do they? So many computers are coming with trial
version of Office 2007, but there is nowhere to warn you to uninstall it
before installing a retail copy. It causes some strange symptoms if you
don't uninstall first.

I tried the Office 2007 trial on my XP with Office 2003 installed.
That worked out ok but I never could get the trial to UNinstall later on.
Maybe it knew I'd decided not to upgrade & was telling me off about it!
I whacked the files using the Brute Force Method to get the space back but
there are still footprints around to annoy me.
bj