Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Third Time Lucky Third Time Lucky is offline

Default Small picture then text

Hi all

I want to write some stories in Word 2003 but instead of all text I want to
start each line of text with a picture of the person whose text will then
follow. How do I do this easily? I know I will have to scan the persons
picture then crop it to just a head and then resize the head to the same
same as the font?
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Third Time Lucky Third Time Lucky is offline

So what about this :

You can create a style for each person, and make a custom bullet using
that person's picture. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/QandA.htm for the general process.

In that article, under "Step 2. Create the prefixes", look at Figure
5. Under the top row of bullet characters, one of the buttons says
"Picture". Click that button to open another dialog, where you can
click an "Import" button and choose the file containing the person's
picture.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Insert Picture From File.

"Third Time Lucky" wrote in message
Hi all

I want to write some stories in Word 2003 but instead of all text I want
start each line of text with a picture of the person whose text will then
follow. How do I do this easily? I know I will have to scan the persons
picture then crop it to just a head and then resize the head to the same
same as the font?
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Import is what you use in this instance, but, before you can do that, the
picture must exist (in the form in which you want to use it, i.e., cropped)
on your hard drive.

http://word.mvps.org

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

What you're suggesting is *far* more time-consuming, complex & problematic
than can possibly be justified by what you describe your need to be. It
would be like building an interplanetary rover for the purpose of opening
soda cans. :-)

IMHO there are at least 2 approaches to be considered, either of which will
be much easier to deal with & provide a more stable result:

1- As Graham suggested, simply insert the appropriate image at the beginning
of the text that pertains to that individual. Leave the image formatted as
In Line with Text & just insert each image where/when necessary, or

2- Create a 2 Column Table, insert the image into the first column of a row
& type the text into the 2nd column, using a separate row for each person.

However, there are a couple of other thoughts I'd like to offer. The first
is that a picture of a person ‹ even just a head shot ‹ scaled to the size
of typical text (10-12 pt) will render the image virtually useless. Second,
regardless of how you proceed it is highly recommended that the images you
use be properly prepared using a decent graphics editing program rather than
attempting to scale the images in Word. If you dump full size images into a
document then scale them down they will lose so much definition that they
will be unrecognizable.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/7/10 12:05 PM, in article , "Third
Time Lucky" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Third Time Lucky Third Time Lucky is offline

Thanks guys and gals for your help and suggestions.
I will crop said pictures so they reflect just a small head but will have to
work out what size they should be cropped to?
I will use the insert picture option then type away till my hearts content.
Many thanks.

.. .

Time Lucky" wrote:

[...]

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
pianoman pianoman is offline

I'm not understanding why you want the photo to be so small. Are you
concerned that a larger photo will create unwanted white space? If that is
the issue, right-click the photo (after inserting it) and change
text-wrapping from Inline to Square.
Cheers!

"Third Time Lucky" wrote:

Thanks guys and gals for your help and suggestions.
I will crop said pictures so they reflect just a small head but will have to
work out what size they should be cropped to?
I will use the insert picture option then type away till my hearts content.
Many thanks.

.. .

Time Lucky" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Third Time Lucky Third Time Lucky is offline

Well what I am trying to achieve is to write a kind of story for a web page.
The tale is told by two "children's dolls" and as they each say a line I
wanted to show their face first then the words to follow on the same line so
the reader would know which "doll" was speaking.
Thanks for your interest anyway, hope my answer makes sense.

"Third Time Lucky" wrote:

Thanks guys and gals for your help and suggestions.
I will crop said pictures so they reflect just a small head but will have
work out what size they should be cropped to?
I will use the insert picture option then type away till my hearts
content.
Many thanks.

.. .

Time Lucky" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Well, if this is for a Web page, then most of the suggestions you've
received are irrelevant because they wouldn't translate well into HTML.

http://word.mvps.org

"Third Time Lucky" wrote:

Thanks guys and gals for your help and suggestions.
I will crop said pictures so they reflect just a small head but will
have to
work out what size they should be cropped to?
I will use the insert picture option then type away till my hearts
content.
Many thanks.

.. .

Time Lucky" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

For a web page you could simply insert the image at the start of the line.
The principle is similar to that used at http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm
to add the various logos at the start of each line. On that page the images
are simple graphics inserted in line. I could have used a table with a
narrow first column and a cell for each image and a cell for the associated
text, but there it wasn't necessary.

If you are creating the web page in Word (not the ideal web creation tool)
check the layout with web view. Better still use a web creation tool. The
above web page was created with FrontPage 2003 - but there are plenty of web
creation tools around. Your web host provider may offer something suitable
as part of the package.

"Third Time Lucky" wrote:

Thanks guys and gals for your help and suggestions.
I will crop said pictures so they reflect just a small head but will
have to
work out what size they should be cropped to?
I will use the insert picture option then type away till my hearts
content.
Many thanks.

.. .

Time Lucky" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

And if you want a larger picture, you can set the wrapping on it so that the
text will wrap to the side and then under it.

http://word.mvps.org

"Third Time Lucky" wrote:

Thanks guys and gals for your help and suggestions.
I will crop said pictures so they reflect just a small head but will
have to
work out what size they should be cropped to?
I will use the insert picture option then type away till my hearts
content.
Many thanks.

.. .