Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
DeeDeeCee DeeDeeCee is offline

Default Can "content" be incorporated into a REF field?

I have a letter template in which the " xxxx" line sometimes should
include an account number. I can put in a REF field that will automatically
enter the account number from another place in the document, with a bookmark
around it. I want to have the language "Account Number" in front of the
actual number in the xxxx line, if I do so.

The problem is that sometimes there is no account number, and in those cases
I DON'T want the words "Account Number" to appear, as there will be nothing
after it.

Thanks for any advice.

ddc

Is there any way to set up the template and/or the REF field so that if
there is an account number, the words "Account Number" appear, followed by
the actual number...but if there is no account number in the bookmark, then
nothing at all appears in the xxxx line?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

{ IF { REF [bookmark] } "" " Account Number { REF [bookmark] }" "" }

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters { } and use
A;t+F9 to toggle off their display.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"DeeDeeCee" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

When I tested that here a while ago, I found that if [bookmark] doesn't
exist, the expression resolves as FALSE. I'm guessing {Ref [bookmark]} must
return an error message (internally). So, if the account number doesn't
appear, the user will need to bookmark a point in the document, so it can
properly compare as TRUE to "" when there is no account number.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word Bible

"DeeDeeCee" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If the bookmark does not exist a further test is required

{ IF { REF Number } "Error!*" "{ IF { REF Number } "" " Account
Number { REF Number }" } }

where Number is the bookmark name.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
When I tested that here a while ago, I found that if [bookmark] doesn't
exist, the expression resolves as FALSE. I'm guessing {Ref [bookmark]}
must return an error message (internally). So, if the account number
doesn't appear, the user will need to bookmark a point in the document, so
it can properly compare as TRUE to "" when there is no account number.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word Bible
Blog: http://word.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

{ IF { REF [bookmark] } "" " Account Number { REF [bookmark] }"
"" }