Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mrod21mvp mrod21mvp is offline

Default cannot delete word doc

I have a document on a share drive that I need to delete, but when I
right-click and select delete I receive the error message:

Error Deleting File or Folder:
Cannot delete (name of my doc goes here): it is being used by another person
or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.

There is no one accessing the file, and on one of my attempts I received a
message that the document was locked by Normal.dot. I tried to delete
normal.dot just to see if it would break the connection but it did not. I
have since restored normal.dot, but still cannot delete the file. Does
anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Have you tried restarting your computer?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"mrod21mvp" wrote in message
I have a document on a share drive that I need to delete, but when I
right-click and select delete I receive the error message:

Error Deleting File or Folder:
Cannot delete (name of my doc goes here): it is being used by another person
or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.

There is no one accessing the file, and on one of my attempts I received a
message that the document was locked by Normal.dot. I tried to delete
normal.dot just to see if it would break the connection but it did not. I
have since restored normal.dot, but still cannot delete the file. Does
anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JERRY JERRY is offline

If restarting doesn't fix it (as Stefan suggested), try this.
First, set your Explorer options to show hidden files.
Then open the directory that the file is in and see if there's a hidden file
with ~$ substituted for the first two characters of the file name. (For
example, if your file is "testfile.doc," look for a file named
~$stfile.doc.")
If you find a file with that name, delete it.
Then close out of Word (and Outlook if it uses Word as it's e-mail editor).
When you come back in, you ought to be able to access your file.

"mrod21mvp" wrote:

I have a document on a share drive that I need to delete, but when I
right-click and select delete I receive the error message:

Error Deleting File or Folder:
Cannot delete (name of my doc goes here): it is being used by another person
or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.

There is no one accessing the file, and on one of my attempts I received a
message that the document was locked by Normal.dot. I tried to delete
normal.dot just to see if it would break the connection but it did not. I
have since restored normal.dot, but still cannot delete the file. Does
anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Good point. See also http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm.

--
Stefan Blom