Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
BK BK is offline

Default No Spacing Default in Word 2007

How do you set NO SPACING as the default in 2007? We can set it to No Spacing
but it doesn't seem to hold for a new document. Tried changing it under
styles but it won't hold for a new document.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
StevenM[_2_] StevenM[_2_] is offline

To: BK,

For Line Spacing in Word 2007 see:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...310301033.aspx

Steven Craig Miller

"BK" wrote:

How do you set NO SPACING as the default in 2007? We can set it to No Spacing
but it doesn't seem to hold for a new document. Tried changing it under
styles but it won't hold for a new document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kokomojo Kokomojo is offline

Hi Steven,

Perhaps you could clairfy something for me, which this article didn't. In
previous versions of Word, if you set line spacing to single, single spacing
was 120% of whatever the point size of the font being used. So, if you were
working with 12 point Times New Roman, single spacing was actually 14.4
points of space between lines within a paragraph.

In Word 2007, the default line spacing is 1.15 lines. Does that mean that
single spacing is 115% of the font being used or is it that single spacing is
still 120% of the font size and 1.15 line spacing would be approximately 138%
of the point size of the font being used, so if you were working with 12
point Times New Roman, 1.15 line spacing would actually give you 16.56 points
of space between lines within a a paragaph?

Thanks so much for any assistance.

Joseph

To: BK,

"BK" wrote:

How do you set NO SPACING as the default in 2007? We can set it to No Spacing
but it doesn't seem to hold for a new document. Tried changing it under
styles but it won't hold for a new document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Kokomojo,

Your statements contain a number of mistaken impressions.

First, the "single-spacing" baseline-to-baseline measurement is specified by
the font itself, not by Word.

Second, the 120% figure (to be multiplied by the nominal point size of the
font) is not true for all fonts. It happens to be common for "body text"
fonts such as Times New Roman.

Third, while the default line spacing in Word 2007 is 1.15 lines, that is a
"Multiple" setting and not a "Single" setting. The "Single" setting is still
just the baseline measurement that's baked into the font.

Overall, though, your final suggestion is approximately correct: For Times
New Roman 12 point font (and many other body fonts), the distance between
baselines for default (not single-spaced) text in Word 2007 is about 16.8
points. You can measure it yourself: Put some text in a document, format it
with the font and size you want, and measure the length on the vertical
ruler. The baseline distance is the total length in inches, multiplied by 72
points per inch, and divided by the number of lines. (Don't forget to turn
off, or take account of, the 10 points of Space After for each paragraph in
the Normal style.)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

To: BK,

"BK" wrote:

How do you set NO SPACING as the default in 2007? We can set it to
No Spacing but it doesn't seem to hold for a new document. Tried
changing it under styles but it won't hold for a new document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
vipin varshney vipin varshney is offline

Open a new word document & go to paragraph in home tab. Set Spacing before 0
pt & after 0 pt. & Line spacing as single. & click on default. save this
setting for all new document.

"BK" wrote:

How do you set NO SPACING as the default in 2007? We can set it to No Spacing
but it doesn't seem to hold for a new document. Tried changing it under
styles but it won't hold for a new document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jeff Jeff is offline

Great summary of changes from Word 2003 and very clear instructions to set
default are found he

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...CH100970231033

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

But note that it has been almost two years since the original question was
asked.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP