Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Elaine Elaine is offline

Default Line above Footnote

I have multiple footnotes and on one of the pages the line above the footnote
is from margin to margin.

Is there a way change the length of the line above the "footnote" for this
one page?
--
Thank you... Elaine
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

That is the Footnote Continuation Separator, which indicates that the first
footnote is a partial one carried over from the previous page.

http://word.mvps.org

"Elaine" wrote in message
I have multiple footnotes and on one of the pages the line above the
footnote
is from margin to margin.

Is there a way change the length of the line above the "footnote" for
this
one page?
--
Thank you... Elaine

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Elaine Elaine is offline

Is there any way to customize the footnote continuation separator to make it
shorter?

I thank you for your support.
--
Thank you... Elaine

"Elaine" wrote in message
I have multiple footnotes and on one of the pages the line above the
footnote
is from margin to margin.

Is there a way change the length of the line above the "footnote" for
this
one page?
--
Thank you... Elaine

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Although I don't advise it, yes, you can do that. How you access it depends
on your version of Word, but in the Footnotes pane (accessible only from
Normal/Draft view), choose Footnote Separator in the dropdown. Select the
separator and Ctrl+C to copy. Then choose Footnote Continuation Separator,
select the separator, and Ctrl+V to paste. Close the pane. But the
continuation separator is intentionally differentiated as an aid to the
reader.

http://word.mvps.org

"Elaine" wrote in message
I have multiple footnotes and on one of the pages the line above the
footnote
is from margin to margin.

Is there a way change the length of the line above the "footnote" for
this
one page?
--
Thank you... Elaine

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Elaine Elaine is offline

My many thanks for the answer. I'll try I'll try it.

You are GREAT!
--
Thank you... Elaine

"Elaine" wrote in message
I have multiple footnotes and on one of the pages the line above the
footnote
is from margin to margin.

Is there a way change the length of the line above the "footnote" for
this
one page?
--
Thank you... Elaine

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Al-photonics Al-photonics is offline

Suzanne,

I use WORD 2007. I have a document with 10 chapters. Each chapter has a
set of footnotes. I want to delete the horizontal line associated with all
the footnotes at the end of each chapter. What is the step-by-step procedure
for doing this?

Thanks,
Al

"Elaine" wrote in message
I have multiple footnotes and on one of the pages the line above the
footnote
is from margin to margin.

Is there a way change the length of the line above the "footnote" for
this
one page?
--
Thank you... Elaine

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Al-photonics[_2_] Al-photonics[_2_] is offline

Using WORD 2007, I have a document with 10 chapters. Each chapter has a set
of footnotes at the end. I want to delete all horizontal lines associated
with all the footnotes. What is the step-by-step procedure for doing this?
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

One of the disadvantages of having Word designed by people who don't
actually make books or scholarly documents is that they don't understand
endnotes (which are what you are using, as opposed to footnotes).
Consequently, the Endnote Separator and Endnote Continuation Separator are
identical to the Footnote Separator and Footnote Continuation Separator,
even though in most cases you don't want any separators at all for endnotes.

There are two approaches you can take:

1. You can't entirely get rid of the separators, but you can minimize their
impact.

a. In Draft view, select the References tab and click Show Notes. This
will display the endnote pane with the described dropdown.

b. Choose Endnote Separator.

c. Select the separator and delete it.

d. Select the remaining empty paragraph and format the font as 1 point
and/or the paragraph line spacing as 1 point. The paragraph will still be
there, but it will be virtually invisible.

e. Repeat for the Endnote Continuation Separator if any of your chapters
will have more than one page of notes.

2. You can use the separators for your own purposes. Using the same
procedure as above, you can substitute the Word "Notes" for the existing
separator line. Similarly, you can substitute "Notes (continued)" for the
continuation separator. It may occur to you that you would like the notes to
start on a new page. Alas! though you might think that you could format the
Endnote Separator as "Page break before," I believe I have found that this
doesn't work, probably because of the virtual nature of the notes and their
interaction with section breaks.

http://word.mvps.org

"Elaine" wrote in message
I have multiple footnotes and on one of the pages the line above the
footnote
is from margin to margin.

Is there a way change the length of the line above the "footnote"
for
this
one page?
--
Thank you... Elaine

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bob Anello Bob Anello is offline

Default Although I don't advise it, yes, you can do that.

Suzanne,

Thank you for helping me to understand changing the footnote separator. My situation is similar to Elaine's, but I want the extended Footnote Continuation Separator that's just about five characters shorter than the one supplied. The reason is with indented footnotes (Turabian), the Footnote Continuation Separator overshoots the right margin by about five characters. I temporarily fixed it by putting two of the Footnote Separator lines side-by-side in the Footnote Continuation Separator, but that's not long enough to extend to the right margin. How does one draw that line that is used for the Footnote (and Continuation) Separator?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On Monday, January 26, 2009 6:54 PM Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

Although I don't advise it, yes, you can do that. How you access it depends
on your version of Word, but in the Footnotes pane (accessible only from
Normal/Draft view), choose Footnote Separator in the dropdown. Select the
separator and Ctrl+C to copy. Then choose Footnote Continuation Separator,
select the separator, and Ctrl+V to paste. Close the pane. But the
continuation separator is intentionally differentiated as an aid to the
reader.

http://word.mvps.org

"Elaine" wrote in message

On Monday, January 26, 2009 7:35 PM Elain wrote:

My many thanks for the answer. I will try I will try it.

You are GREAT!
--
Thank you... Elaine

On Monday, February 09, 2009 10:30 AM Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

[...]

Submitted via EggHeadCafe
SharePoint Tip / Thought of the Day WebPart
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...y-webpart.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bob Anello Bob Anello is offline

Default Must the Change to Footnote Separator Be Re-Entered Each Time?

As I said, I found an interim way to modify the Footnote Continuation Separator, but I have an additional question.
Does MS Word (2007) not save the modified separator?
I ask this because each time I open my master document I have to again modify the separator.

Submitted via EggHeadCafe
Excel Generate High Quality RoadMaps
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-roadmaps.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Even with indented footnotes, I don't think the separator should be
indented. But see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/NoteSeparators.htm

You can modify a separator in a given document, but unless you modify it in
the template you're using as the basis for the documents, you won't see the
modified separator in new documents, nor will the change be reflected in
existing documents even if you modify it in the template.

http://word.mvps.org