#1   Report Post  
ME

Default making address labels from word address list

I have a long list of names/addresses, and would like to make address labels.
The list is lines of text written in Word, like this:
Name
Company
Address
Address2
Zip code City
Country

I have more than 70 pages of names. Please tell me there is a way to create
labels without having to re-type all the names!
Thank you.
ME

#2   Report Post  
Graham Mayor

Jump into http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm at the
relevant spot then merge the file into labels -
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

ME wrote:
I have a long list of names/addresses, and would like to make address
labels. The list is lines of text written in Word, like this:
Name
Company
Address
Address2
Zip code City
Country

I have more than 70 pages of names. Please tell me there is a way to
create labels without having to re-type all the names!
Thank you.
ME

#3   Report Post  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME View Post
I have a long list of names/addresses, and would like to make address labels.
The list is lines of text written in Word, like this:
Name
Company
Address
Address2
Zip code City
Country

I have more than 70 pages of names. Please tell me there is a way to create
labels without having to re-type all the names!
Thank you.
ME
I'm assumimg that you don't need fields for each line, just a way to get these whole addresses into labels. The easiest way to do this is as follows:
1) Open the column of addresses set one above the other, then do a find (go MORE then SPECIAL) for all the paragraph (Enter) marks and replace them with manual line breaks. You will get rid of all the para. marks.
2) To regain the para. marks where needed, simply do another find and replace. Do a find for two (manual) line breaks which will appear as ^l^l in the find box, which are to be replaced with one para. mark ^p. Your addresses are now delimited with para. marks.
3) When this is accomplished select all the text and by using 'Convert text to Table' with a para delimiter, the text becomes a single column table of address records, which is ideal for a mail merge document where fields are not required.
4) Just add a cell at the top and type a heading in it such as ADDRESS and voila! You have a one column table ready for mail merge to labels etc.
5) If you are using Word 2010 and don't want any added spacing in your addresss labels, you will need to do the following: Start the mail merge, after inserting the mergefield with chevrons at each end e.g. ADDRESS, select this mergefield, then go to the HOME tab, click on the button above the word 'paragraph' with the up/down arrows and remove any spacing before paragraphs. If you don't do this your addresses may not fit into the labels.
Hope this helps, Chris D.

BTW. MS support addresses this issue in the following website. Their method gives you a delimited database that serves well for a mail merge to labels in most cases.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/212335

IF FIELDS ARE REQUIRED
If you require each line of the address to be a field, then start by adding your fields before the first address as follows:

Name
Company
Address1
Address2
Zip code
Country

You must have all your addresses with the same number of lines as this header record.

Open the MS support website http://support.microsoft.com/kb/212335
and start at Method 1 -- Remember to name and save the file before going on to step 6 in their directions. Once saved, you have an asterisk delimited list that will work in a mail merge and make labels.

IF A TABLE WITH FIELDS IS REQUIRED
To change this asterisk delimited list to a sortable table with fields, follow the steps below:

1) Start Word 2007 / 2010
2) Open a blank page
3) Make sure the ‘Insert Database’ button is on your Quick Access Toolbar - Q.A.T. (If not click on down arrow on the Q.A.T. / Go to Customize / More commands / Change from ‘Popular Commands’ to ‘All Commands’ / then select ‘insert database’ and add to Q.A.T.) For 2007 users go Start button / Word Options / Customize / Choose Commands from / All Commands.
4) Once you have this added to the QAT, Click on this ‘Insert database’ button
5) Select your asterisk delimited address file and open
6) Field ‘Enter', Record ‘*’
7) Insert data / OK, ALL
8) Click on ‘Table Tools’ button and select white table model on left
9) Your addresses are now in a table with fields in the header row. This table may be pasted into Excel for more filtering if required.

The Avery Label software works in conjunction with Word, but requires a table to work from. It is an easy way to format your labels if the Word mail merge is difficult for you.

(For earlier versions of WORD, open the Database Toolbar (which needs to be selected from View / Toolbars). Then open a blank document, click on the icon, ‘Insert Database’ from the Database toolbar/ Click Get Data / find your document set up delimited by asterisks and click OPEN / select the delimiters: Field - Enter / Records - *
Insert data /then click OK)
Your labels are now in a table. Re-name and save.

Last edited by chipp2shore : February 26th 12 at 09:07 AM Reason: More info.