Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Word 2013 in Windows 10?

I'd like to transfer (some of) my work to the new laptop, since Windows 10 and Word 2013 have (they say) greatly improved exotic font capabilities. But the
file structure of Windows 10 seems quite different, and I need to transfer my
custom Templates (with hundreds of Keyboard Shortcuts for phonetic symbols etc.),
my custom Bibliography Styles, and my bibliography Sources database.

(A while back, someone tested installing my normal.dotx template in Word 2010
and reported that the Keyboard Shortcuts were intact.)

In Windows 7, these live in various places in the "Program Files" hierarchy
and in the "App Data | Roaming" hierarchy. I even created a 1-entry Sources
file in the new system to see where it would put it, and Search turns up only
the old ones that are sitting in a folder on the Desktop waiting to be put
somewhere.

Related question: I have dozens of fonts in my book on alphabets and such, and
I don't particularly want to install fonts that I don't need right away. Is
there a way (in Word 2007) to generate a list of the fonts used in a document?
(I think I've done so in the past -- I remember getting a list that listed
every font change -- but that was probably well before Word 2007.)

The Font Substitution panel doesn't help; it merely reports that no font
substitutions are needed.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Saturday, August 22, 2015 at 9:56:47 AM UTC-4, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

I'd like to transfer (some of) my work to the new laptop, since Windows 10 and Word 2013 have (they say) greatly improved exotic font capabilities. But the
file structure of Windows 10 seems quite different, and I need to transfer my
custom Templates (with hundreds of Keyboard Shortcuts for phonetic symbols etc.),
my custom Bibliography Styles, and my bibliography Sources database.

(A while back, someone tested installing my normal.dotx template in Word 2010
and reported that the Keyboard Shortcuts were intact.)

In Windows 7, these live in various places in the "Program Files" hierarchy
and in the "App Data | Roaming" hierarchy. I even created a 1-entry Sources
file in the new system to see where it would put it, and Search turns up only
the old ones that are sitting in a folder on the Desktop waiting to be put
somewhere.

Addendum: I found that there are still "Hidden Files." When I Showed them, I
was able to find App Data | Roaming and put my bibliographic Sources file in
the right place.

However, when I put the biblographic Styles in the right place, only the ones
that came with Word 2013 show up in the list of available ones in a document.
Opening a document that uses one of the custom ones, the box identifying the
style used is blank, and the citations in text show up properly, but I'm
afraid to try to add another one.

And I found nowhere at all to put the Templates. Moreover, there's an unhelpful
Forum post at Microsoft saying that templates put in one place can only be
accessed in one of two ways of starting a New document and those put in a
different place can only be accessed using a different way.

Related question: I have dozens of fonts in my book on alphabets and such, and
I don't particularly want to install fonts that I don't need right away. Is
there a way (in Word 2007) to generate a list of the fonts used in a document?
(I think I've done so in the past -- I remember getting a list that listed
every font change -- but that was probably well before Word 2007.)

This question is still open.