Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Coily Coily is offline

Default Word 2007 Equation Editor: Permutations, Combinations?

I haven't found any support in the new Equation Editor for properly
formatting Permutations (nPr) or Combinations (nCr). Are they here
somewhere, or do I have to cobble something together? Their display would
format the n and r elements in subscript, one before and one after the P or C.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Word 2007 Equation Editor: Permutations, Combinations?

Formatting Permutations and Combinations in Microsoft Word 2007 Equation Editor
  1. Open a new or existing Word document.
  2. Click on the Insert tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the Equation button in the Symbols group.
  4. In the Equation Editor, click on the Script button in the Structures group.
  5. Select Subscript and Superscript from the drop-down menu.
  6. Type n in the subscript box.
  7. Type r in the subscript box below.
  8. Type P or C in the main box.
  9. Your equation should now look like this: "nP[sub]r[/sub]" or "nC[sub]r[/sub]".

If you want to make the formatting look more professional, you can adjust the font size and style of the subscripts and main text. Here's how:

1. Highlight the subscript text.
2. Click on the Home tab in the ribbon.
3. Use the font size and style drop-down menus to adjust the formatting as desired.
4. Repeat for the main text.

That's it! You should now have a properly formatted Permutations (nPr) or Combinations (nCr) equation in Microsoft Word 2007.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You'll need to cobble--but then save your cobbled version as an equation or
an autocorrect entry for future use. Start a new equation, then type the
following inside the equation container:

{underscore}n{spacebar}C{underscore}r{spacebar}

This will give you nCr (where n & r are subscripted). It will also give you
an empty box before the n, which you can ignore (and if you can make it not
show at all... let me know how, because I haven't discovered a method yet).

Of course, this is all much easier to do in Word without the equation
editor... unless, of course, you need additional things that only the
equation editor can do.

You might find this resource useful, since Word 2007's equation editor seems
to "speak" the UTN28 Plain Text Math language:

http://unicode.org/notes/tn28/UTN28-...extMath-v2.pdf

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Coily" wrote in message
I haven't found any support in the new Equation Editor for properly
formatting Permutations (nPr) or Combinations (nCr). Are they here
somewhere, or do I have to cobble something together? Their display would
format the n and r elements in subscript, one before and one after the P
or C.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Coily Coily is offline

Thanks, Herb. Found that and played with it for a while. Some refinements:

This uses the \hairsp (hairline space character) since a regular space is
translated to a box for an unknown. Entering Ctrl-I before the C avoids the
switch to italic.

Alt+= to start. Enter: \hairsp, underscore, n, space, Ctrl+I, C,
underscore, r, space.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get this faithfully represented in Math
AutoCorrect. The link to other math notations will be helpful.

"Coily" wrote in message
I haven't found any support in the new Equation Editor for properly
formatting Permutations (nPr) or Combinations (nCr). Are they here
somewhere, or do I have to cobble something together? Their display would
format the n and r elements in subscript, one before and one after the P
or C.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frager Frager is offline

"Coily" wrote in message
I haven't found any support in the new Equation Editor for properly
formattingPermutations(nPr) or Combinations (nCr). *Are they here
somewhere, or do I have to cobble something together? *Their display would
format the n and r elements in subscript, one before and one after the P
or C.- Hide quoted text -

I have read with interest your question re notation for permutations
and combinations.
I have 2 questions:
1. In Word 2007 how do I insert a hair space? I don't understand what
I read about U +200A etc.
2. Is it possible to superscript n and subscript r.

I did manage by accident to get 2Cr with the 2 superscripted and the r
subscripted, but couldn't repeat the feat.

Your use of Alt seems different to what I read about superscripting
and subscripting.

Thanks

Frager

Thanks
Frager

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Frager,

Alt= (Alt + equal sign) is the keyboard shortcut equivalent to Insert=Equation=Insert New Equation.

A hairspace is one of the predefined Math Autocorrect (shorthand) entries for Word 2007 (Alt, T, A) - Math Autocorrect.

When you're in an equation you can type \hairsp
as shorthand for a hairspace or \zwsp for a zerowidth space.

There's a list you can print out in Word help under the topic of 'math autocorrect'

In the original example the poster, Coily, asked how to write
formatting Permutations (nPr) or Combinations (nCr)

To insert a new equation use
Alt=

To type the Combination above within the Equation Editor Mathzone so that you have a result of:

n subscript
C as plain (not italicized) text
r as superscript

typethe following in a math zone

Alt= (to create a new, empty equation)

\zwsp (to enter a zero width space)

space (this one is optional since the next char is punctuation)

_ (an underscore. This starts a subscript string)

space

"C" (put the C in quotes)

space

^ (above the 6 on the regular keyboard, starts a subscript string)

space

For a couple of quick video step by step examples of writing equations in linear format mode click on either the 'exponents and fractions' or 'integral' links on
http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...Word-2007.aspx

For a link to the PDF file that covers what you can type check
http://blogs.msdn.com/murrays/archiv...06/742274.aspx
(they hyperlink under "here" in the first blog entry.

===============
"Frager" wrote in message ...

I have read with interest your question re notation for permutations
and combinations.
I have 2 questions:

1. In Word 2007 how do I insert a hair space? I don't understand what
I read about U +200A etc.

2. Is it possible to superscript n and subscript r.

I did manage by accident to get 2Cr with the 2 superscripted and the r
subscripted, but couldn't repeat the feat.

Your use of Alt seems different to what I read about superscripting
and subscripting.

Thanks

Frager

Thanks
Frager
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Correction to the last message.

typing ^ starts a superscript rather than a subscript string

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Art Art is offline

Bob,

Thanks very much for your reply.
I still have to do a lot of reading up on Equations in Word 2007.
Your help is much appreciated

Frager
"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...
Correction to the last message.

typing ^ starts a superscript rather than a subscript string

nitinv003 nitinv003 is offline
Junior Member

to type n(superscript)Pr(subscript) type
\hairsp space ^n space P_r space