Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Susan Susan is offline

Default abby 5.0

Abbyy 5.0 is a document reading utility used by my office installation, and
came with the office installed on my computer. Deleting this was the only
change I made to my system, and then when I tried to open a new document in
office, I was (and still am) unable to. I get the windows installer box,
followed by the message to install my disk, (the re-installation disk for
Office Basic Edition 2003 is the only one I have) which I have done (many
times) and each time I then get an error message saying I need to install
basic11n.msi, which I don't have. I'm a 'newbie' in case you haven't
noticed. Got this computer 4 yrs ago and still learning. I've searched
everywhere I can think of, and can't find a new abbyy 5.0. Even e-mailed the
company, and they sent a link to down to download 6.0 because they don't
support 5.0 anymore, but it still doesn't work. Anyone have any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Insert the Office CD but don't run it for now. Explore the files in there
and see if you can find the missing file. Finding a new download of Abbyy
will not fix your problem.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Susan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Basic11n.msi is the installer for Office Basic. When installed correctly,
the file will be stored on the hard drive and the registry will point to
this stored file for making any changes. If the registry pointer is wrong or
the file not present, you will get an error message. If you have the correct
installation disc for the Word version on your PC, then run setup *from the
disc* and choose the option to repair the installation.

Susan wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Susan Susan is offline

Thank you Graham for taking the time to try to help this bumblehead. I'm
still having the same problem, though. Tried the "repair" option, got the
same msg. about basic11n.msi; ran search, no such file found, searched for
office files, found one w/ office tools- office application recovery
shortcut; ran that w/ the same result. So, seems to me I've done something I
can't fix, and I'm so mad at myself, and upset to not be able to use office.
Thanks again for trying to help. Any further suggestions are *greatly*
appreciated.

Susan wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Susan Susan is offline

The only one I have is my Office Basic Edition 2003. Here's the situation:
when I try to open office the usual page comes on, but in the "faded" form
which lets you know it isn't loading completely. After a few seconds office
installer box comes on, saying "installing." I get a few bars of loading,
then an error box telling me to install my cd & click ok. I do this, then
get another error message that says I need to find a file that has
basic11n.msi, and find the program in that. I have searched and do not have
that file. I was trying to free up disc space one day last week, and being
an idiot deleted Abbyy 5.0. Then, as if that wasn't a big enough blunder, I
ran EasyCleaner to clean up a lot of old anti-spyware files etc. Then ran
Ccleaner. Whatever damage I have done seems to have permanently crippled my
Office application. I don't need to use it for work or anything like that,
which is good, but I do really enjoy it (well, used to...) I'm still a
newbie, & I'm sure someone with a lot more experience than I could sit here
for a few minutes and have the whole thing back good as new. I can't, and
don't have a clue what to do. Thank you to all of you for the suggestions!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you insert the Word CD?

Susan wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Registry cleaners can bollix up a system really well. Can you do a system
restore to a date prior to running those cleaners?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Susan" wrote in message
[...]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you insert the Word CD?

Susan wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Well, several people have attempted to give you a clue, which is to run a
repair installation (or uninstall and install from scratch) using the Office
Basic Edition 2003 CD.

"Susan" wrote in message
[...]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you insert the Word CD?

Susan wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Susan Susan is offline

Yes, and I did run the repair, with the same results. I am understandibly
nervous about uninstalling office and trying to re-install. Does the cd
contain abbyy 5.0? I suppose I shouldn't be so nervous about it, since
office is unusable at this point anyway. How do I go about this? I mean,
after uninstalling, do I go to "add new components" in control panel?

"Susan" wrote in message
[...]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you insert the Word CD?

Susan wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Susan,

The Abbyy FineReader Sprint v5.0 would be something that came with the Applications provided with the PC or with a printer/scanner.
It's not part of Office. You may want to see if you either have a CD for that or if there is a listing for your brand of PC in
Start=Programs.

If you have the 6.0 version of FineReader available from Abbyy, then you can install that once Office is running again.

Back up your files, restart the PC, and then you can run Setup from the Office CD or from Add/Remove Programs in the Windows control
panel and try a 'repair/reinstall' choice that comes up first.

If that doesn't work, then you may need to uninstall Office 2003, then restart again and install from the CD to the same folder. In
some cases, where you've zapped the registry with a 'cleaner', you may have to also manually remove some of the Office folders as
well it the reinstall doesn't 'take' the first time.

"Susan" wrote in message ...
Yes, and I did run the repair, with the same results. I am understandibly
nervous about uninstalling office and trying to re-install. Does the cd
contain abbyy 5.0? I suppose I shouldn't be so nervous about it, since
office is unusable at this point anyway. How do I go about this? I mean,
after uninstalling, do I go to "add new components" in control panel?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP