Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Marsh Marsh is offline

Default Where has Normal.dot gone

I am using Office 2003 on a newly acquired Windows Vista computer.
I am making a number of changes to Word - Autotext, macros, custom toolbar
and buttons, etc.
I want to backup normal.dot but can not find it, even with a search.
Where does it live?

Many thanks
Marsh
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
StevenM[_2_] StevenM[_2_] is offline

Marsh,

On my computer, the templates folder it is located at: C:\Documents and
Settings\Steven\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates, but to find where your
templates file is located, look at: Tools - Options - File Locations (tab)

You might also take a look at:
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/p...cle.asp?ID=151

Steven Craig Miller

"Marsh" wrote:

I am using Office 2003 on a newly acquired Windows Vista computer.
I am making a number of changes to Word - Autotext, macros, custom toolbar
and buttons, etc.
I want to backup normal.dot but can not find it, even with a search.
Where does it live?

Many thanks
Marsh

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I can't say for sure about Vista, but under Windows XP, the folder where
Normal.dot is stored is a hidden one, so you have to explicitly search
hidden and system folders (or have them displayed in Windows Explorer if
you're looking manually).

"Marsh" wrote in message
news
I am using Office 2003 on a newly acquired Windows Vista computer.
I am making a number of changes to Word - Autotext, macros, custom toolbar
and buttons, etc.
I want to backup normal.dot but can not find it, even with a search.
Where does it live?

Many thanks
Marsh

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The default location on Vista is C:\Users\your name\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates. Like the one in Windows XP, the Application Data
folder (and thus everything under it) is hidden.

On either operating system, regardless of whether you've chosen to display
hidden folders in Windows Explorer (a.k.a. Computer), you can get there by
entering this in the address bar:

%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates

The expression %appdata% is an "environment variable" that points to the
Application Data folder for the current login profile, whatever name that
might contain.

The Vista search normally looks only at files in indexed folders. Since the
Application Data folder and its contents aren't indexed unless you
explicitly tell it to, you'd have to use Advanced Search and check the
option to search unindexed folders. That will set you up for a long wait.
:-(

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I can't say for sure about Vista, but under Windows XP, the folder
where Normal.dot is stored is a hidden one, so you have to explicitly
search hidden and system folders (or have them displayed in Windows
Explorer if you're looking manually).

"Marsh" wrote in message
news
I am using Office 2003 on a newly acquired Windows Vista computer.
I am making a number of changes to Word - Autotext, macros, custom
toolbar and buttons, etc.
I want to backup normal.dot but can not find it, even with a search.
Where does it live?

Many thanks
Marsh

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
PA PA is offline

The precise path to Normal.dot is,

C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templa tes.

It took a while to figure this one out, but I needed it to help our users
back upthe normal template to their network home directory.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I can't say for sure about Vista, but under Windows XP, the folder
where Normal.dot is stored is a hidden one, so you have to explicitly
search hidden and system folders (or have them displayed in Windows
Explorer if you're looking manually).

news