Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
alsimbo alsimbo is offline

Default change header size in second page

I am trying to set up a new letterhead with the company logo on page one only
and a smaller margin on the second and subsequent pages. I have read and
followed http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm and I am still
getting problems. I have tried inserting a page break and amending the margin
but this affects the first page also. I have also tried inserrting a new
section and amending the margin which doesn't affect the first page. This is
fine as long as I want a 2 page template, but as soon as 'backspace' from the
second page it deletes the header on the first page and when i select
'different first page' it has amended in size to what the second page was!
Help please!!
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: change header size in second page

To change the header size on the second page of your document without affecting the first page, you can follow these steps:
  1. Go to the second page of your document.
  2. Double-click on the header area to activate it.
  3. In the "Header & Footer Tools" tab that appears, click on the "Different First Page" checkbox.
  4. This will allow you to edit the header on the second page without affecting the first page.
  5. Adjust the header size as desired by selecting the header text and changing the font size or adjusting the margins.
  6. Once you have made the desired changes, click on the "Close Header and Footer" button to exit the header editing mode.

If you want to have a smaller margin on the second and subsequent pages, you can also adjust the page margins by following these steps:
  1. Go to the second page of your document.
  2. Click on the "Page Layout" tab.
  3. Click on the "Margins" button and select "Custom Margins".
  4. In the "Page Setup" dialog box that appears, adjust the margins as desired for the second and subsequent pages.
  5. Click on the "Apply to:" dropdown menu and select "This point forward" to apply the new margins to the rest of the document.
  6. Click "OK" to save the changes.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It helps to insert a temporary page break so you can see what you are doing.

In page setup setup the margins to suit the subsequent pages and set a
different first page header.

Put your header graphic in the first page header and nothing in the
subsequent page headers.
If necessary use a borderless text box in the first page header to push
down the text, but you can usually add a wrap option to your logo to achieve
the same thing.

When you are happy, delete the page break and save the template.

It has been a while since I read Suzanne's page, but I am sure she has this
covered?

alsimbo wrote:
I am trying to set up a new letterhead with the company logo on page
one only and a smaller margin on the second and subsequent pages. I
have read and followed
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm and I am still
getting problems. I have tried inserting a page break and amending
the margin but this affects the first page also. I have also tried
inserrting a new section and amending the margin which doesn't affect
the first page. This is fine as long as I want a 2 page template, but
as soon as 'backspace' from the second page it deletes the header on
the first page and when i select 'different first page' it has
amended in size to what the second page was! Help please!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I do indeed have this covered. I suspect that alsimbo may be inserting a
section break rather than a page break but also has missed the fact that you
don't actually change the margin in Page Setup but instead "fake it" by
adding to the size of the First Page Header. The relevant information is in
the previous section (the wrong place for it, I now realize), viz.:

No matter how deep you make your header, and regardless of your top margin
setting, the header will not (except in very special circumstances) overlap
the document body; it will push it down. So it is not necessary to change
the top margin, a fact we will take advantage of later on.

and:

The default header margin in Word is 0.5?, and the default top margin is 1?.
This allows half an inch for a header, but a header can be as deep as you
want it to be; it will push the document body down to make room for itself.
(But a deep header on page 1 will not affect the top margin on page 2, where
your header may be only one line deep.) So what you want to do is add enough
Spacing After to the Header paragraph to make it push the top margin down to
the 2? mark (Format | Paragraph and use the spinner beside Spacing: After:
or type directly into the box). This may require some trial and error, but
it helps if you know that there are 72 points in an inch. The Header
paragraph (in Word 2000 and above) is in 12-pt type and is already half an
inch from the top. So if you multiply 1.5? by 72 and subtract 12, you get 96
points, which turns out to be about right. Test by returning to your
document and looking at the status bar to see what the “At” measurement is
for the top line.

alsimbo wrote:
I am trying to set up a new letterhead with the company logo on page
one only and a smaller margin on the second and subsequent pages. I
have read and followed
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm and I am still
getting problems. I have tried inserting a page break and amending
the margin but this affects the first page also. I have also tried
inserrting a new section and amending the margin which doesn't affect
the first page. This is fine as long as I want a 2 page template, but
as soon as 'backspace' from the second page it deletes the header on
the first page and when i select 'different first page' it has
amended in size to what the second page was! Help please!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Robert Johnson Robert Johnson is offline

Default Remove header

By remove header I mean the area of the printed page where the header would appear. I have a doc that has 3 lines on the final page; I use only the footer. If I could use a portion of the page normally used for the header I could eliminate a page.

I know there are other methods but I am interested in this way if it is possible.

The "Remove Header" does not do what I have in mind which is to remove the area of the page the header would use.

alsimbo wrote:

On Friday, August 22, 2008 9:35 AM Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You can certainly set the header margin to 0" and then make the top margin
smaller, but this will affect all pages, not just the last. For other
options, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/FitCopy.htm

http://word.mvps.org