Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
SG SG is offline

Default Delete a column with a checkbox

I have a table that has 3 columns - sometimes I need the last column and
sometimes I don't. Is it possible to put a formfield checkbox at the top of
the column so that if it is not checked, the column will be deleted?

Likewise, some of the rows may be needed, some may not. Can I also put a
checkbox in front of each row to control which can be deleted and which
cannot?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

The problem with doing that sort of thing is that there is no going back if
you change your mind.

The following code run on exit from the checkbox will however give you a
chance to change your mind:

Dim Response
With ActiveDocument
If .FormFields("Check1").CheckBox.Value = True Then
Response = MsgBox("Are you sure that you want to delete the
column?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo)
If Response = vbYes Then
.Unprotect
.Tables(1).Columns(3).Delete
.Protect wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset
End If
End If
End With

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"sg" wrote in message
I have a table that has 3 columns - sometimes I need the last column and
sometimes I don't. Is it possible to put a formfield checkbox at the top
of
the column so that if it is not checked, the column will be deleted?

Likewise, some of the rows may be needed, some may not. Can I also put a
checkbox in front of each row to control which can be deleted and which
cannot?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
SG SG is offline

If I could bother you again...

I tweaked the code you gave me to also delete a row in the same table if the
checkbox is not checked. Is there a way to specify that it should be the row
that the checkbox is in instead of specifying row 2 or row 3?

"sg" wrote in message
I have a table that has 3 columns - sometimes I need the last column and
sometimes I don't. Is it possible to put a formfield checkbox at the top
of
the column so that if it is not checked, the column will be deleted?

Likewise, some of the rows may be needed, some may not. Can I also put a
checkbox in front of each row to control which can be deleted and which
cannot?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
SG SG is offline

Well...I tried that - put it in place of .Tables(1).Rows(2).Delete. I got an
error then that said the requested member of the collection does not exist.
Then I changed the code so it read .Tables(1).Selection.Rows(1).Delete, but I
still get an error.

What am I doing wrong?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Selection.Rows(1).Delete

--

"sg" wrote in message
I have a table that has 3 columns - sometimes I need the last column and
sometimes I don't. Is it possible to put a formfield checkbox at the
top
of
the column so that if it is not checked, the column will be deleted?

Likewise, some of the rows may be needed, some may not. Can I also put
checkbox in front of each row to control which can be deleted and which
cannot?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

You need to use:

Dim Response
With ActiveDocument
If .FormFields("Check1").CheckBox.Value = True Then
Response = MsgBox("Are you sure that you want to delete the
column?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo)
If Response = vbYes Then
.Unprotect
.FormFields("check1").Range.Rows(1).Delete
' .Tables(1).Columns(3).Delete
.Protect wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset
End If
End If
End With

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"sg" wrote in message
news
Well...I tried that - put it in place of .Tables(1).Rows(2).Delete. I got
an
error then that said the requested member of the collection does not
exist.
Then I changed the code so it read .Tables(1).Selection.Rows(1).Delete,
but I
still get an error.

What am I doing wrong?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Selection.Rows(1).Delete

--

"sg" wrote in message
I have a table that has 3 columns - sometimes I need the last column
and
sometimes I don't. Is it possible to put a formfield checkbox at
the
top
of
the column so that if it is not checked, the column will be deleted?

Likewise, some of the rows may be needed, some may not. Can I also
put
checkbox in front of each row to control which can be deleted and
which
cannot?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
SG SG is offline

Thanks! That is absolutely perfect!!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

You need to use:

Dim Response
With ActiveDocument
If .FormFields("Check1").CheckBox.Value = True Then
Response = MsgBox("Are you sure that you want to delete the
column?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo)
If Response = vbYes Then
.Unprotect
.FormFields("check1").Range.Rows(1).Delete
' .Tables(1).Columns(3).Delete
.Protect wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset
End If
End If
End With

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"sg" wrote in message
news
Well...I tried that - put it in place of .Tables(1).Rows(2).Delete. I got
an
error then that said the requested member of the collection does not
exist.
Then I changed the code so it read .Tables(1).Selection.Rows(1).Delete,
but I
still get an error.

What am I doing wrong?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote: