Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
daniesmiley daniesmiley is offline

Default How do I stop text from spilling over a locked cell in a table?

I have created a table that is being used as a makeshift form.
I have set the table height to be exactly 1" and the width to 100%.
However, I want the cell so that if you keep typing to the end of the cell,
that the text doesn't spill over. Right now it does, even though you cannot
see it I know it's there cause i can see the curser below.
Please let me know what setting I need to put on so that it stops input when
you get to the bottom edge of the cell.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Actually, there is no way to prevent people from typing in excessive text in
a table cell with fixed dimensions. On the other hand, I believe most people
would stop typing when they realize that the text disappears from view.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"daniesmiley" wrote in message
I have created a table that is being used as a makeshift form.
I have set the table height to be exactly 1" and the width to 100%.
However, I want the cell so that if you keep typing to the end of the
cell,
that the text doesn't spill over. Right now it does, even though you
cannot
see it I know it's there cause i can see the curser below.
Please let me know what setting I need to put on so that it stops input
when
you get to the bottom edge of the cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
daniesmiley daniesmiley is offline

OK fair enough, if that is the case, is there a way to prevent another row
being formed when tab is clicked?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I suspect you can do this with a macro, but I don't know how. If you don't
get a reply here, you may want to ask in a programming newsgroup such as
microsoft.public.word.vba.general.

Note, however, that if you can use a protected form instead, you wouldn't
have this problem, because users cannot create tables at all; all they can
do is input text into the text form fields. For more on forms, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...nTheBlanks.htm.

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
GATOW88 GATOW88 is offline

I AM TRYING TO FILL IN A SIMPLE WORD APPLICATION FORM BUT THE NEXT CHARACTERS
MOVE TO THE RIGHT WHEN I TYPE IN INFORMATION, IS THERE A WAY I CAN STOP THE
NEXT TEXT MOVING?
MIKE LOUTH

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If you are not the designer of the form, then just fill it in and let the
formatting go as haywire as it will; you are not responsible. If you are
trying to design such a form, use tables with fixed cell dimensions.
Sometimes when I get poorly designed forms, I redo them so that they work,
but I've never yet gotten any thanks for it (or any indication that the
person who sent the form even noticed).

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

You will have to design the form using table cells with fixed dimensions;
that way, you get control over the layout.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP