Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
LACorrales LACorrales is offline

Default Can I lock table in Word templete & still a edit cell contents?

I have a number of tables I have saved in a template. I'd like to be able to
lock the number of cells and their size in each of the tables, but still be
able to edit the contents of each table cell. Currently, when I cut and
paste content cells it doesn't enter the pasted content into the existing
cells, it adds cells. I have to figure out how many cells it added and
delete the excess cells. Thanks
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Can I lock table in Word templete & still a edit cell contents?

Yes, you can lock the table in a Word template and still be able to edit the contents of each table cell. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Open the Word template that contains the table you want to lock.
  2. Click on the table to select it.
  3. Go to the "Layout" tab in the ribbon.
  4. Click on "Properties" in the "Table" group.
  5. In the "Table Properties" dialog box, go to the "Table" tab.
  6. Check the box next to "Specify height" and enter the desired height for the table cells.
  7. Check the box next to "Specify width" and enter the desired width for the table cells.
  8. Click on the "Row" tab.
  9. Check the box next to "Allow row to break across pages" if you want the table to be split across multiple pages.
  10. Click on the "Column" tab.
  11. Check the box next to "Preferred width" and enter the desired width for the table columns.
  12. Click "OK" to close the "Table Properties" dialog box.

Now your table is locked in terms of its size and number of cells, but you can still edit the contents of each cell. When you cut and paste content cells, it will enter the pasted content into the existing cells, rather than adding cells. This should save you time and effort in editing your tables.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Assuming that you are using a recent version of Word you can restrict the
formatting and editing so that only certain cells can be edited.

In Word 2007, on the Developer tab, click Protect Document. Under "Editing
restrictions," choose "No changes (Read only)"; then set "Exceptions" for
the cells that should be editable. When you are done, click Yes, Start
Enforcing Protection.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP