Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
tammy tammy is offline

Default Default alignment within table cells

Hi - Word 2007 -
Everytime I insert a new table, the cells are aligned center, and I have to
select them and realign left before typing content. I have no idea when, or
how this happened. My Normal style is set to align left. I can't find a
"default" style for tables. Any suggestions on how to fix this - short of
creating an autotext entry?
Thanks for any help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

There is a Table Normal style, but I don't think it can be modified. OTOH,
if you have a different table style selected as the default table style,
that might be the problem.

http://word.mvps.org

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi - Word 2007 -
Everytime I insert a new table, the cells are aligned center, and I have
select them and realign left before typing content. I have no idea when,
or
how this happened. My Normal style is set to align left. I can't find a
"default" style for tables. Any suggestions on how to fix this - short of
creating an autotext entry?
Thanks for any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
tammy tammy is offline

It's very strange - I do not choose a style at all. I just use the grid and
roll over the number of columns and rows I need. I tested using the "Insert
Table..." button, but the same thing happens.

I guess I'll just have to keep digging, or just keep realigning the cell
text.

Thanks so much, Suzanne!

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi - Word 2007 -
Everytime I insert a new table, the cells are aligned center, and I have
select them and realign left before typing content. I have no idea when,
or
how this happened. My Normal style is set to align left. I can't find a
"default" style for tables. Any suggestions on how to fix this - short of
creating an autotext entry?
Thanks for any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
tammy tammy is offline

Well, a little more digging, and I found it - what I did:

*Inserted a table and selected it. (Word inserted a "Plain Table" style by
default.)
*Table Tools tab / Design tab / Table Styles group / clicked the "More"
button and chose "Modify Table Style..."
*Changed the alignment option there, and clicked "New documents based on
this template" before hitting OK.

All set!

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi - Word 2007 -
Everytime I insert a new table, the cells are aligned center, and I have
select them and realign left before typing content. I have no idea when,
or
how this happened. My Normal style is set to align left. I can't find a
"default" style for tables. Any suggestions on how to fix this - short of
creating an autotext entry?
Thanks for any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

As you have noticed, any table in Word has a table style, whether you
explicitly applied one or not.

Anyway, I'm glad you got it sorted! :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi - Word 2007 -
Everytime I insert a new table, the cells are aligned center, and I
have
select them and realign left before typing content. I have no idea
when,
or
how this happened. My Normal style is set to align left. I can't find a
"default" style for tables. Any suggestions on how to fix this - short
of
creating an autotext entry?
Thanks for any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
WhiteRat[_2_] WhiteRat[_2_] is offline

Thank you for this Tammy. I have already made modifications to my default
table style using your discovery.

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi - Word 2007 -
Everytime I insert a new table, the cells are aligned center, and I
have
select them and realign left before typing content. I have no idea
when,
or
how this happened. My Normal style is set to align left. I can't find a
"default" style for tables. Any suggestions on how to fix this - short
of
creating an autotext entry?
Thanks for any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Just to clarify a bit further. The table style that is the default in W2007
is Table Grid. If you hover the cursor over any of the table icons, Word
will show you the table style's name. "Plain Tables" is a section label in
the tables gallery. The others are Custom and Built-in. The labels show up
when table styles from those groups are used in the document.

If you have tables that do not seem to have a style (no halo around a style
name), they were probably created in an older version of Word where Table
Normal is the default table style. In W2007, Table Normal, by default, does
not show up in the tables gallery.

Pam

WhiteRat wrote:
Thank you for this Tammy. I have already made modifications to my default
table style using your discovery.

Well, a little more digging, and I found it - what I did:

[quoted text clipped - 24 lines]
creating an autotext entry?
Thanks for any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I think Table Grid is the default even in older versions, at least some
older versions (you get a grid border by default when you insert the table,
which is why so many people don't realize you can make borderless ones). It
at least can be customized, whereas Table Normal cannot.

http://word.mvps.org