Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Emily060708 Emily060708 is offline

Default Postcards using mailmerge - please help

I am trying to mail merge using Avery 8387 postcards, using a template
approved for this very same brand and number. Basically there are four
postcards on one sheet of paper.

When I go to put a address block into the text box, the first post card is
fine. Then I go to the second postcard. I click on Rules click on Next
Record and insert it into the text box, and then I insert the address block.
I do that for the other two postcards. Then I click on Preview Results and I
get this error message saying "You cannot include NEXT, NEXTIF, OR SKIPIF
fields in comments, headers, footers, footnotes or endnotes." I am not
putting the address blocks or the text boxes in any of those?

When I am finally able to get an address to pop up in the doc. it only gives
me one address, in all for "postcards."

I need all four postcards to have different addresses not the same!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Word fails to tell you that you can't use { NEXT } etc. in a text box
either, so if the template is constructed using text boxes, or you have
used them, it won't work.

Typically postcard merges are set up as "label" merges - there is a
layout for 8387 in the "Avery US Letter" list in Word 2007 (say), but
because the list of stationery types starts with 11101 you may have
concluded that there is no standard layout for 8387. But 11101 precedes
8387 because this particular list happens to be sorted "alphabetically"
(i.e. anything starting with a "1" comes before anything starting with
an "8"). So maybe you could look further down the list and try again
using Word's layout.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 20/11/2009 16:20, Emily060708 wrote:
I am trying to mail merge using Avery 8387 postcards, using a template
approved for this very same brand and number. Basically there are four
postcards on one sheet of paper.

When I go to put a address block into the text box, the first post card is
fine. Then I go to the second postcard. I click on Rules click on Next
Record and insert it into the text box, and then I insert the address block.
I do that for the other two postcards. Then I click on Preview Results and I
get this error message saying "You cannot include NEXT, NEXTIF, OR SKIPIF
fields in comments, headers, footers, footnotes or endnotes." I am not
putting the address blocks or the text boxes in any of those?

When I am finally able to get an address to pop up in the doc. it only gives
me one address, in all for "postcards."

I need all four postcards to have different addresses not the same!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Peter has the address side of the postcard covered. If you want to merge
both sides see http://www.gmayor.com/duplex_merge_data.htm