Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
GeoBrooks GeoBrooks is offline

Default Merge in Office 2007 w/o Access

I'm curious:

In versions of Office 2007 without Access, when one does a merge in Word and
creates a new address list, is the address list saved as an mdb? If so, can
one add records to the list in Word after the merge?

Thanks.

George
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I believe the answer is "yes" to both questions but have not actually
checked recently. Word does not actually use "Access" to open and
maintain .mdb data sources: it uses the same "database engine" that
Access does, namely "Jet" (or in Word 2007, possibly "ACE").

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 20/11/2009 20:11, GeoBrooks wrote:
I'm curious:

In versions of Office 2007 without Access, when one does a merge in Word and
creates a new address list, is the address list saved as an mdb? If so, can
one add records to the list in Word after the merge?

Thanks.

George

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
GeoBrooks GeoBrooks is offline

Thanks for the encouraging thoughts. Any ideas on how to confirm this? I've
got a bunch of students with Home & Student who are about to learn about
merging. I'd like to assure them they can edit whatever list they create.

George

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

I believe the answer is "yes" to both questions but have not actually
checked recently. Word does not actually use "Access" to open and
maintain .mdb data sources: it uses the same "database engine" that
Access does, namely "Jet" (or in Word 2007, possibly "ACE").

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 20/11/2009 20:11, GeoBrooks wrote:
I'm curious:

In versions of Office 2007 without Access, when one does a merge in Word and
creates a new address list, is the address list saved as an mdb? If so, can
one add records to the list in Word after the merge?

Thanks.

George

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You can always use an existing list as the data source for a directory type
mail merge in the main document of which you insert the merge fields into
the cells of a one row table. When executed to a new document, the new
document will contain a table with a row of data for each record in the data
source. A row can then be inserted at the top of that table and into the
cells of that row, you can enter the names of the fields. Then you can make
whatever changes to the data are required and use that document as the data
source for further mail merges.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

I believe the answer is "yes" to both questions but have not actually
checked recently. Word does not actually use "Access" to open and
maintain .mdb data sources: it uses the same "database engine" that
Access does, namely "Jet" (or in Word 2007, possibly "ACE").

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 20/11/2009 20:11, GeoBrooks wrote:
I'm curious:

In versions of Office 2007 without Access, when one does a merge in
Word and
creates a new address list, is the address list saved as an mdb? If
so, can
one add records to the list in Word after the merge?

Thanks.

George

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
GeoBrooks GeoBrooks is offline

Doug: A nice little workaround. I'll add it to my bag of tricks. As for my
students, I can already see the glazed eyes. I'll just tell them there are
ways to add to the list.