Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Chris Chris is offline

Default Collapsing / Grouping Rows in MS Word Tables

Dear All,
I would like to collapse / group rows (as is possible in Excel) in tables.
Has to be done in Word 2007 rather than Excel embed or change to Excel.
I currently make row very thin but it's not a very elegant solution.
Any thoughts appreciated,
Best wishes
Chris
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Chris,

You cannot completely hide a row or column in a Word table. The smallest you can get is 1pt height and 1pt width.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Chris" wrote in message ...
Dear All,
I would like to collapse / group rows (as is possible in Excel) in tables.
Has to be done in Word 2007 rather than Excel embed or change to Excel.
I currently make row very thin but it's not a very elegant solution.
Any thoughts appreciated,
Best wishes
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Correction: The smallest you can get is 1pt height and 0.5pt width.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Chris" wrote in message ...
Dear All,
I would like to collapse / group rows (as is possible in Excel) in tables.
Has to be done in Word 2007 rather than Excel embed or change to Excel.
I currently make row very thin but it's not a very elegant solution.
Any thoughts appreciated,
Best wishes
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
TimvG TimvG is offline

One way to do something a bit like hiding rows in Excel is to select
the row and set the font to Hidden.

This kind of hiding seems to work well for whole nested tables.
However my quick investigation suggests it has "issues" for rows, and
doesn't work at all for columns.

- Tim

On Dec 11, 8:49*am, "macropod" wrote:
Hi Chris,

You cannot completely hide a row or column in a Word table. The smallest you can get is 1pt height and 1pt width.

--
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]

"Chris" wrote in ...
Dear All,
I would like to collapse / group rows (as is possible in Excel) in tables.
Has to be done in Word 2007 rather than Excel embed or change to Excel.
I currently make row very thin but it's not a very elegant solution.
Any thoughts appreciated,
Best wishes
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Chris Chris is offline

Many thanks for thoughts Tim & macropod - much appreciated.
Best wishes
Chris

"TimvG" wrote:

[...]

.

Grouping tables and text boxes? Davy Pieters Tables 4 April 21st 23 09:33 PM
Collapsing Tables Dragonkindred Tables 3 May 22nd 07 08:44 AM
'Tables'- 2 columns,4 rows. Can you merge one column into 3 rows? CalMac Captain Tables 1 May 19th 06 03:27 PM
Custom Numbering in Word Tables/Rows Ray Tables 1 March 14th 06 09:22 PM
Repeating rows within tables - not heading rows Eddie Tables 1 August 19th 05 03:24 PM