Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
budman42 budman42 is offline

Default How can I merge multiple spreadsheet enteries into one word doc?

I have a list of accounts were 5 to 10 accounts are for the same
person / member # (which is also a field) and I created a word doc
that I want to merge with several enteries (the 5 to 10 entries of the
same person) of the spread sheet..

Anyone have any ideas??
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

See fellow MVP Macropod's "Word 97-2007 Catalogue/Directory Mailmerge
Tutorial" at:
http://www.wopr.com/index.php?showtopic=731107
or
http://www.gmayor.com/Zips/Catalogue%20Mailmerge.zip
Do read the tutorial before trying to use the mailmerge document included
with it as you must get the mail merge main document set up exactly as
required.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"budman42" wrote in message
I have a list of accounts were 5 to 10 accounts are for the same
person / member # (which is also a field) and I created a word doc
that I want to merge with several enteries (the 5 to 10 entries of the
same person) of the spread sheet..

Anyone have any ideas??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
APP APP is offline

Default How can I merge multiple spreadsheet enteries into one word do

Hi Doug,

I have used the very useful tutorial you referenced.
I added text after te repeated data. I have added a the key field as part of
the text. The problem is that fr that specific field, the value returned is
the next field in the data base. Where has it is te correct field in th
repeated area.
Here's an example:

Dear X,

Repeating data...with keyfield "productcompany" showing fine.

Text after repeaed data....
On belhaf of "productcompany" .

The problem is when in the repeated data part , the field value returns item
i of the bdatabase, the same field is showing item 2 of the database in the
text afer the repeated data.

Thanks for your help.

"budman42" wrote in message
I have a list of accounts were 5 to 10 accounts are for the same
person / member # (which is also a field) and I created a word doc
that I want to merge with several enteries (the 5 to 10 entries of the
same person) of the spread sheet..

Anyone have any ideas??

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi App,

Have you copied the field from the tutorial to the sample mailmerge main document to see how this works in practice? Whilst the
trailing text is indeed attached to the start of the following record, the field formatting ensures the output presents the trailing
text as part of the record to which it relates from the end-user's viewpoint.

--
Cheers
macropod

"budman42" wrote in message
I have a list of accounts were 5 to 10 accounts are for the same
person / member # (which is also a field) and I created a word doc
that I want to merge with several enteries (the 5 to 10 entries of the
same person) of the spread sheet..

Anyone have any ideas??

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I have developed a new method that may be simpler for you to use.

See the following page of fellow MVP Graham Mayors website:
http://www.gmayor.com/ManyToOne.htm

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"budman42" wrote in message
I have a list of accounts were 5 to 10 accounts are for the same
person / member # (which is also a field) and I created a word doc
that I want to merge with several enteries (the 5 to 10 entries of the
same person) of the spread sheet..

Anyone have any ideas??

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Doug,

If I understand the article correctly, your new method only works with Excel data sources. Is that correct?

--
Cheers
macropod

"budman42" wrote in message
I have a list of accounts were 5 to 10 accounts are for the same
person / member # (which is also a field) and I created a word doc
that I want to merge with several enteries (the 5 to 10 entries of the
same person) of the spread sheet..

Anyone have any ideas??

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It currently only works with Excel 97-2003 format data sources. Your
tutorial is linked from the page.

"macropod" wrote in message
Hi Doug,

If I understand the article correctly, your new method only works with
Excel data sources. Is that correct?

--
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]

I have developed a new method that may be simpler for you to use.

See the following page of fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website:
http://www.gmayor.com/ManyToOne.htm

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services
on
a paid professional basis.

"budman42" wrote in message
I have a list of accounts were 5 to 10 accounts are for the same
person / member # (which is also a field) and I created a word doc
that I want to merge with several enteries (the 5 to 10 entries of
the
same person) of the spread sheet..

Anyone have any ideas??

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Hi Paul,

Yes, the code was written for use with an Excel 97-2003 data source.

While most other data sources could be copied/pasted/exported to that
format, it would not be too difficult to come up with code for use with a
Word datasource. For data in Access. it can certainly be exported to Excel.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"budman42" wrote in message
I have a list of accounts were 5 to 10 accounts are for the same
person / member # (which is also a field) and I created a word doc
that I want to merge with several enteries (the 5 to 10 entries of
the
same person) of the spread sheet..

Anyone have any ideas??

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
APP APP is offline

Hi everyone and thank you all for your input.
Unfortunately they have not resulted in working solution for me.

I have the tutorial correctly, yet the tutorial does not provide a case
where the key field is in the text to apear after repeating data...

I have tried your solution Doug but I get all sorts of error messages....

Perhaps you see for your self using the tutorial and addind the key field
(state) in the text to appear after the repeating data. You will get the next
value in the data base for the state!!!!

Perhaps there's a merge code to say take value-1?!

thanks

"budman42" wrote in message
I have a list of accounts were 5 to 10 accounts are for the same
person / member # (which is also a field) and I created a word doc
that I want to merge with several enteries (the 5 to 10 entries of
the
same person) of the spread sheet..

Anyone have any ideas??

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

What sorts of error messages? Be specific.

The two methods are not intended to be combined.

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

See fellow MVP Macropod's "Word 97-2007 Catalogue/Directory
Mailmerge
Tutorial" at:
http://www.wopr.com/index.php?showtopic=731107
or
http://www.gmayor.com/Zips/Catalogue%20Mailmerge.zip
Do read the tutorial before trying to use the mailmerge document
included
with it as you must get the mail merge main document set up exactly
as
required.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my

"budman42" wrote in message
I have a list of accounts were 5 to 10 accounts are for the same
person / member # (which is also a field) and I created a word doc
that I want to merge with several enteries (the 5 to 10 entries of
the
same person) of the spread sheet..

Anyone have any ideas??

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi APP,

Using the first example under the heading "Inserting Text After the Repeated Data", you can repeat the 'Key' field's value after the
repeated text by making, the following mods to the field code:
1. Change the first line by adding '{SET LastKey { Key }' thus:
{QUOTE{IF{ MERGESEQ }= 1 {SET Key ""} {SET LastKey { Key }}}"{IF{ MERGEFIELD State } { Key } "{IF{ MERGESEQ } 1 "
2. Replace the word 'State' in "please contact your State Sales Manager" with a field coded as {REF LastKey}.
That's all you need to do. Adapt as needed for your own requirements.

--
Cheers
macropod

"budman42" wrote in message
I have a list of accounts were 5 to 10 accounts are for the same
person / member # (which is also a field) and I created a word doc
that I want to merge with several enteries (the 5 to 10 entries of
the
same person) of the spread sheet..

Anyone have any ideas??

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi APP,

The third example under the "Inserting Text After the Repeated Data" heading was already coded to output the 'Key' field's value
after the repeated data - it's coding meant the underlying mergefield could be used instead of referring back to the 'Key' field.

--
Cheers
macropod

"budman42" wrote in message
I have a list of accounts were 5 to 10 accounts are for the same
person / member # (which is also a field) and I created a word doc
that I want to merge with several enteries (the 5 to 10 entries of
the
same person) of the spread sheet..

Anyone have any ideas??

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
APP APP is offline

Thank you macropod. Your solution worked perfectly.
Many thanks to all that have helped me out on this.

all the best.