Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Dax Arroway Dax Arroway is offline

Default AutoFill Text from Dropdown

I have a 5x5 table in which the first column has drop downs with choices
Level 1 through Level 5. The columns have descriptive text in them which
should change depending upon the users choices in the dropdowns. Is there a
way of doing this?

For instance, if someone opened this form and selected Level II from the
dropdown menu, the cells across the row would fill with predetermined text
that matched descriptions for Level II. If they changed it to Level III, the
descriptions would follow, and so on and so forth.

Does anyone know how to do this or know where a webpost is or a webpage
which describes the process. (And excuse me if this is all ready discussed.
I searched but couldn't find anything.)

Thanks so much in advance!
--Dax
--
I would give my left hand to be ambidextrous!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Here is one way of doing it.

Assuming that you wanted the same result in all of the cells 2 through 5 of
a row, you would run a macro containing the following code on exit from the
dropdown formfield in each cell of the first column:

Dim ddresult As String
ddresult = Selection.FormFields(1).result
Select Case ddresult
Case "Level 1"
For i = 2 To 5
Selection.Rows(1).Cells(i).Range.FormFields(1).res ult = "Result
for Level 1"
Next i
Case "Level 2"
For i = 2 To 5
Selection.Rows(1).Cells(i).Range.FormFields(1).res ult = "Result
for Level 2"
Next i
Case "Level 3"
For i = 2 To 5
Selection.Rows(1).Cells(i).Range.FormFields(1).res ult = "Result
for Level 3"
Next i
Case "Level 4"
For i = 2 To 5
Selection.Rows(1).Cells(i).Range.FormFields(1).res ult = "Result
for Level 4"
Next i
Case Else
For i = 2 To 5
Selection.Rows(1).Cells(i).Range.FormFields(1).res ult = "Result
for Level 5"
Next i
End Select

If you want something different in each cell in the row, then in place of
the constructions like

For i = 2 To 5
Selection.Rows(1).Cells(i).Range.FormFields(1).res ult = "Result
for Level 1"
Next i

you are going to need

Selection.Rows(1).Cells(2).Range.FormFields(1).res ult = "Result for
Level 1 in Column 2"
Selection.Rows(1).Cells(3).Range.FormFields(1).res ult = "Result for
Level 1 in Column 3"
Selection.Rows(1).Cells(4).Range.FormFields(1).res ult = "Result for
Level 1 in Column 4"
Selection.Rows(1).Cells(5).Range.FormFields(1).res ult = "Result for
Level 1 in Column 5"

If you do not want the user to be able to edit the result in columns 2
through 5, you can uncheck the Fill-in enabled box for the formfields in
those cells.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Dax Arroway" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Dax Arroway Dax Arroway is offline

Sort of like an IF, THEN statement. IF cell A1 has Level 1 selected from the
dropdown, then B1 is Level 1 B text, C1 is Level 1 C text, D1 is Level 1
D text. Or if A1 is Level 2 selected, then B1 is Level 2 B text, C1 is
Level 2 C text, and so on and so forth. Does anyone have something that
could do this? Seems simple enough. I've actually figure out how to do this
with Excel but I don't want an inserted excel document into my Word document.
I'd rather it only be a Word document with a Word Table. I can also do this
with HTML but again, I'd prefer this only be a Word doc. Anyone???