Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nina S Nina S is offline

Default merge field only shows 28 of 30 characters

the field in my sql database allows 30 characters, but when we merge the
field in Word 2003 it only shows 28 characters. The database programmer said
the problem is in the Word doc. Do I need a switch to have all 30 characters
merge?
Please help!
Nina
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Some techie questions that you may have to refer to your programmer:

What type of database is it (SQL Server, mySQL, Oracle,...?)

What is the field type? VARCHAR, CHAR, NCHAR, NVARCHAR,..? Is the field
coming directly from a table, or via a View or a stored procedure?

Are you using an OLE DB connection in Word (that would be the default in
Word 2003, but you could be using ODBC if there is no OLE DB provider
for the database concerned.

(I don't know a problem in this area, and the above info. would really
only allow us to try to replicate the problem if we happen to have the
necessary database software etc. available).

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 14/01/2010 16:53, Nina S wrote:
the field in my sql database allows 30 characters, but when we merge the
field in Word 2003 it only shows 28 characters. The database programmer said
the problem is in the Word doc. Do I need a switch to have all 30 characters
merge?
Please help!
Nina

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nina S[_2_] Nina S[_2_] is offline

I have the answers to all but the last question. Still waiting to hear from
the CRM programmer.

What type of database is it (SQL Server, mySQL, Oracle,...?)
SQL Server

What is the field type? VARCHAR, CHAR, NCHAR, NVARCHAR,..?
PanelDescription (varchar(30), not null)

Is the field coming directly from a table, or via a View or a stored
procedure?
These are the views I looked at that I thought you might be using to get the
data
vDocRouterOPPOQuoter
vDocRouterQuoter

Are you using an OLE DB connection in Word (that would be the default in
Word 2003, but you could be using ODBC if there is no OLE DB provider
for the database concerned.
I do not know the answer to this question
Can you ask the CRM programmer?

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Unfortunately I spent some time trying to replicate this problem but
could not do so (SQL Server 2008, VARCHAR(30) containing a 30-char text,
etc.). I've tried both OLE DB and ODBC connections, and both the old SQL
Server client and the newer Native Client. No difference.

If you have another program on your system that you could use to open
this data - for example Excel or Access - it might be worth trying that
to see if the same truncation is occurring.

If you are actually seeing two question marks at the end instead of the
two characters you expect, the problem probably results from the
"character translation" settings. However, for this to happen for every
value in the field, there would have to be two unusual characters at the
end of /every/ value, which would seem a little strange.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nina S[_2_] Nina S[_2_] is offline

I asked my CRM programmer about this a while back and he did not respond
until I copied my boss on an email. Now he has the answer and needs to make
an adjustment and recompile docRouter. He will have the problem fixed. Thank
you for your time.
Nina

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields