Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Paulieconfused Paulieconfused is offline

Default Editing 'Mail Merge Recipient' List when Source is MS Outlook Cont

I would like to use Microsoft Contacts as the source for €˜Mail Merge
Recipients. When trying to do so, I find the €˜mail merge recipients box
will not let me edit categories of information. I cannot do so using
€˜Contacts in Outlook, because I cannot find how to add fields or a place for
a new type of information from which the €˜mail merge recipient list can take
the information. For instance, if I want to have Esquire appear by some
names and Attorney for others how can I have a new box in Outlook from with
the mail merge can get that information of edit the €˜mail merge recipient
list (which I seem not to be able to do when the list for the information is
from Contacts in Outlook. Thanks for any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you want to use user-defined fields/columns in Outlook in a merge,
then you have to "initiate the merge from Outlook", i.e. select your
contacts, then use Outlook Tools-Mail Merge... to start the merge. If
you use the facility in Word to connect to your contact list, Word
"sees" a fixed and more restricted set of fields. Notice also that some
of the field names differ depending on which connection method you use.

I'm not sure whether you know how to create new fields in Outlook, but
As for creating new fields in Outlook, one way is to open the contact
for editing, then (in Outlook 2007) chosse Contact-All fields-New.

{FWIW I think that will be enough, but be aware that "under the hood",
Outlook can work with at least two types of user-defined field - such
fields can either be defined at the "folder" level or at the "contact
item" level)

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk