Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
dan_waldo dan_waldo is offline

Default Paragraph numbering and footnotes

I have a document with numbered paragraphs. When I insert a footnote, Word
insists on numbering the graph line separating text from footnote. I cannot
find a way to turn this "feature" off.

Does anybody have a suggestion?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You have evidently applied numbering to the Normal style, which is used for
the separator. You can edit the separator directly (see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/NoteSeparators.htm), but a better
approach would be to use a specific numbered style (such as List Number) for
your numbered paragraphs.

http://word.mvps.org

"dan_waldo" wrote in message
I have a document with numbered paragraphs. When I insert a footnote, Word
insists on numbering the graph line separating text from footnote. I
cannot
find a way to turn this "feature" off.

Does anybody have a suggestion?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
dan_waldo[_2_] dan_waldo[_2_] is offline

Thanks for this suggestion ... I changed the second-level style to "list
paragraph" (couldn't find "list number") and this works.

Now, a followup question, if you don't mind -- the multilevel list I create
travels with its document, but I cannot seem to save it for use in other
documents as well. I'm sure that I am simply not querying the help files with
the right words ... can you steer me in the right direction?

"dan_waldo" wrote in message
I have a document with numbered paragraphs. When I insert a footnote, Word
insists on numbering the graph line separating text from footnote. I
cannot
find a way to turn this "feature" off.

Does anybody have a suggestion?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You need to select the style in the Styles pane, right-click, choose Modify,
and select the radio button for "New documents based on this template."

http://word.mvps.org

news

"dan_waldo" wrote in message
I have a document with numbered paragraphs. When I insert a footnote,
Word
insists on numbering the graph line separating text from footnote. I
cannot
find a way to turn this "feature" off.

Does anybody have a suggestion?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
dan_waldo[_2_] dan_waldo[_2_] is offline

I am very excited, as I seem to be making progress -- if one equates motion
and progress

I followed your suggestion ... a number of times, before I saw where these
user-defined lists show up to be invoked. Now I have several redundant styles
in the "List Library" pane, and no apparent way to delete them. I am betting
that there is an "intuitively obvious" way to do this, but my intuition
regarding Word is suspect of late. Can you help?

Thanks for your patience!

p.s. I notice that the box to "Notify me of replies" appears to be cosmetic
rather than functional .. at least when using Firefox as the browser.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You can right-click a list format under "List Library" at Home tab | Multilevel
List and choose Remove from List Library on the context menu.

To restore the built-in formats, you can quit Word and then delete the
ListGal.dat file in your user profile.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"dan_waldo" wrote in message
I am very excited, as I seem to be making progress -- if one equates motion
and progress

I followed your suggestion ... a number of times, before I saw where these
user-defined lists show up to be invoked. Now I have several redundant styles
in the "List Library" pane, and no apparent way to delete them. I am betting
that there is an "intuitively obvious" way to do this, but my intuition
regarding Word is suspect of late. Can you help?

Thanks for your patience!

p.s. I notice that the box to "Notify me of replies" appears to be cosmetic
rather than functional .. at least when using Firefox as the browser.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
dan_waldo[_2_] dan_waldo[_2_] is offline

Thanks for the suggestion, Stefan. Unfortunately, the items I want to delete
I find under "list styles" rather than "list library" and when I right-click
on those puppies my only option is "modify."

If it takes the eradication of listgal.dat to fix this, I'm up for it ...
but I have to think there's a less drastic solution!

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

You can right-click a list format under "List Library" at Home tab | Multilevel
List and choose Remove from List Library on the context menu.

"dan_waldo" wrote in message
I am very excited, as I seem to be making progress -- if one equates motion
and progress

I followed your suggestion ... a number of times, before I saw where these
user-defined lists show up to be invoked. Now I have several redundant styles
in the "List Library" pane, and no apparent way to delete them. I am betting
that there is an "intuitively obvious" way to do this, but my intuition
regarding Word is suspect of late. Can you help?

Thanks for your patience!

p.s. I notice that the box to "Notify me of replies" appears to be cosmetic
rather than functional .. at least when using Firefox as the browser.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

List styles are a different story. Since they are styles, you can delete them
via the Organizer dialog box. To display the dialog: Press Alt+F8, and then
click the Organizer button.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

You can right-click a list format under "List Library" at Home tab |
Multilevel
List and choose Remove from List Library on the context menu.