Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

Default Differences in various auto-fit options (2007)

Does anyone know why these two autofit mechanisms give different
results?

1. Right-click in table | AutoFit | AutoFit to Contents.
2. Select entire table | Double-click right border.

Right-clicking in a table brings up a list of options. One of them is
Auto-Fit. Selecting Auto-Fit, brings up three options:

AutoFit to Contents (AFTC)
AutoFit to Window (AFTW)
Fixed Column Width (FCW)

AFTW makes the table as wide as possible. I am not sure how it decides
how wide to make each column.

AFTC doesn't seem to work all the time. I have a table with 18 columns
on a legal page, landspace orientation. Some of the columns have more
than 1 line (carriage returns inside the cell). AFTC gets most of the
columns the right width, but one or two are too narrow. The resulting
table is several inches narrower than the page.

There are other autofit mechanisms. Double-clicking on the right
border of any column will autofit that column to the contents. If the
entire column is selected, double-clicking either border will work.

If multiple columns are selected, they will all be autofitted. If the
entire table is selected, the entire table will be autofit. This gives
a different result than the right-click | AutoFit | AutoFit to
Contents. For my table, the double-click method does it right, the
right-click method does it wrong.

Is there an accurate summary of the various autofit options?

I think I read somewhere that using the control keys while
double-clicking the column borders can get different effects, but I
can't find that now.