Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
superfanny superfanny is offline

Default IF conditions in fields leaves lines

Hi there,

When I'm using the IF function to determine which fields appear, how do i
make it so a failure to satisfy the condition does not skip a line?

For example, I have the following block at the top

[Company/Individual Member]
c/o [Person]
[Job Title]
[Work Address]
[City], [State] [Zip]

I want to set up the second line as follows

[If Company and Person , then"c/o [Person]", otherwise leave blank]

It has to include both Company and Person as conditions. The problem is if
the conditions aren't satisfied it leaves a blank line (unlike what fields
normally do, which is automatically jump to the next field). I've tried
different combos, but noething seems to be working. Is there a way around
this so there is no blank line? Thanks in advance.
--
Yousef
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Put the fields on the same line and insert the line break as part of the
result. eg

{ If { Mergefield Company } "" "{ Mergefield Company }"}{ If { Mergefield
Person } "" "¶
{ Mergefield Person }" }{ If { Mergefield JobTitle } "" "¶
{ Mergefield JobTitle }" }¶
{ Mergefield Address }

Press Enter only where you see ¶

"superfanny" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
superfanny superfanny is offline

Thanks, I didn't realize hitting Enter in the bracketed fields would carry
over.

I guess since I'm on the topic ... When I create a custom field using IF
conditions, as soon as I preview results, the IF formula is no longer visible
and can't be edited. It will just show the result of the field for that
particular record. I essentially have to delete it and retype the field again
if I want to edit it. Are there some settings to change this? Also, I want to
make a template letter for others to use, is there a way to "lock" the
fields? (The people I'm working with are not familiar with this aspect of
mail merge and I don't want them to start messing around with it)
--
Yousef

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

ALT+F9 will toggle the display of field construction/value.
Save your merge document as a template and allow users to create new
documents from it. The original should then be unaffected by the tampering
of users.