Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
hanspnw hanspnw is offline

Default TOC is adding spaces that aren't in Heading text

Word is adding spaces in the TOC that aren't in the style-defined text
from which they're generated. For example, if I type this in the
heading:

Appendix A:

Boring Extraneous Stuff

where "Appendix" is added via "Enter formatting for number" in the
Multilevel dialog box, where the colon is manually typed, and where
there are two soft line breaks after the colon, I get this in the TOC:

Appendix A_:__Boring Extraneous Stuff

That is, Word is adding one space before the colon, and two after it.

The style's "Follow numbering with" parameter is set up to add
nothing, and there are no extraneous spaces in the "Enter formatting
for number" field.

Can I control these spaces somehow? I need no space prior to the colon
(don't care about the two subsequent).

Thanks...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The TOC replaces line breaks with spaces, so I would expect the two spaces
after the colon. I would suggest that you format your Appendix title style
with Multiple or Exactly line spacing to add the required space using a
single line break.

I can't explain the space before the colon provided it is part of the number
formatting (not typed manually in the document) and there is no space
between the "number" and the colon in the "Number format" box of the Define
New Multilevel List dialog.

http://word.mvps.org

"hanspnw" wrote in message
Word is adding spaces in the TOC that aren't in the style-defined text
from which they're generated. For example, if I type this in the
heading:

Appendix A:

Boring Extraneous Stuff

where "Appendix" is added via "Enter formatting for number" in the
Multilevel dialog box, where the colon is manually typed, and where
there are two soft line breaks after the colon, I get this in the TOC:

Appendix A_:__Boring Extraneous Stuff

That is, Word is adding one space before the colon, and two after it.

The style's "Follow numbering with" parameter is set up to add
nothing, and there are no extraneous spaces in the "Enter formatting
for number" field.

Can I control these spaces somehow? I need no space prior to the colon
(don't care about the two subsequent).

Thanks...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
hanspnw hanspnw is offline

Suzanne,

Thank you for your response and line spacing suggestion; I'll adjust
the style.

The reason I don't automate the colon's inclusion when setting up
numbering is because I have so many xrefs to appendices by just their
letter, not the full xref text (e.g., "see Appendix A") and I am
unable to figure out how to use an automated colon but get an xref of
"Appendix A" instead of "Appendix A:".

-Hans

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"hanspnw" wrote in message

Word is adding spaces in the TOC that aren't in the style-defined text
from which they're generated. For example, if I type this in the
heading:

Appendix A:

Boring Extraneous Stuff

where "Appendix" is added via "Enter formatting for number" in the
Multilevel dialog box, where the colon is manually typed, and where
there are two soft line breaks after the colon, I get this in the TOC:

Appendix A_:__Boring Extraneous Stuff

That is, Word is adding one space before the colon, and two after it.

The style's "Follow numbering with" parameter is set up to add
nothing, and there are no extraneous spaces in the "Enter formatting
for number" field.

Can I control these spaces somehow? I need no space prior to the colon
(don't care about the two subsequent).

Thanks...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you're adding the colon manually, it should be added immediately after
the number (assuming there's not a space following the number in the "Number
format" box), but this brings up another possibility I did not mention
befo although I don't have much experience with numbered headings in
TOCs, I think the TOC may add a space or tab following the number. If your
appendix titles are short, you can remove the hanging indent from the TOC
style, or at least delete the tab stop a that position, and see if that
helps.

A way to get around this entirely would be to use two different styles as
described at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/T...mberedHeadings. This
would allow you to have a style with just the numbering and another style
with just the title. In the TOC, you map just the title style to a TOC level
that is not otherwise used and apply Appendix # numbering to that style.

http://word.mvps.org