Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] inge.randen@gmail.com is offline

Default Backspace deletes indentation of Normal style

In Word 2010 I have made a template with the Normal Style with a indentation at 1,3cm, just where the Header 1 text starts. Everything is lined up just perfectly.

1.2 Header 1
|Normal text
All Normal text should stay here

Everything works fine until the user hits Backspace with cursor location at the left of N of Normal text. In my mind the text should move up behind the Header 1 text. Instead the indent is deleted.

Then this is the result, Normal text moves out of the indent:

1.2 Header 1
|Normal text -------problem
All Normal text should stay here

Any way of blocking the user from deleting the Indent in Normal style?

I know I can reformat the complete template, move left page margin +1,3, have -1,3cm indent at Header numbering, but... is that the only way?
I don't want to lock the Normal style either.

Please help me...

Br,
InR
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If your indent was done with a Tab, then you'd be deleting the indent. But
since your indent is done in the Normal tyle, what you're doing is deleting the paragraph mark at the end of the Heading style and adding the text of the
first paragraph to the heading.

Presumably your Heading doesn't have any special formatting, such as Bold or
Italic, or you'd see that go away.

And you must be typing your section numbering rather than using "Multilevel
List," or the section number would go away, too.

Moral: Don't press Backspace when you're at the left edge of the first line
of a paragraph.

On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 6:36:27 PM UTC-4, InR wrote:

In Word 2010 I have made a template with the Normal Style with a indentation at 1,3cm, just where the Header 1 text starts. Everything is lined up just perfectly.

1.2 Header 1
|Normal text
All Normal text should stay here

Everything works fine until the user hits Backspace with cursor location at the left of N of Normal text. In my mind the text should move up behind the Header 1 text. Instead the indent is deleted.

Then this is the result, Normal text moves out of the indent:

1.2 Header 1
|Normal text -------problem
All Normal text should stay here

Any way of blocking the user from deleting the Indent in Normal style?

I know I can reformat the complete template, move left page margin +1,3, have -1,3cm indent at Header numbering, but... is that the only way?
I don't want to lock the Normal style either.

Please help me...

Br,
InR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
InR InR is offline

Thanks Peter,

I like your moral - and maybe the approach is user training...

But it is not correct that you delete the paragraph mark at the end of the Heading style. This is the functionality that I'm after. Pushing backspace twice does that. Pushing backspace once only deletes the indent of the Normal style. Applying Normal again restates the indent. I did not think that an indent in Normal style could be deleted as easy as a Tab - it seems so...

Br,
InR
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To prevent the Delete key from deleting indents, you have to clear the
option to "Set left and first indent with tabs and backspaces" on the
AutoFormat As You Type tab of the AutoCorrect dialog box.

To display the dialog box in Word 2010, click File tab | Proofing |
AutoCorrect Options.

Note that after you have cleared the above option, you will still see, in a
multilevel numbered list, that pressing Delete once suppresses the list
number.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"InR" wrote in message
Thanks Peter,

I like your moral - and maybe the approach is user training...

But it is not correct that you delete the paragraph mark at the end of the
Heading style. This is the functionality that I'm after. Pushing backspace
twice does that. Pushing backspace once only deletes the indent of the
Normal style. Applying Normal again restates the indent. I did not think
that an indent in Normal style could be deleted as easy as a Tab - it
seems so...

Br,
InR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement