Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John A. Turek Jr.

Default Is there an anagram tool for unscrambling words?

I have office 2003. From a class long ago in office 97, I seem to remember
that there was a way to enter a scrambled word or a word with missing
letters, and Word would offer suggestions based on the position of the
letters I did have. For example, if it typed H**P, Word would show HELP,
HEAP HARP, etc, as the possible words I needed. The teacher also said that
it was possible for Word to unscramble letters and offer possible
combinations of mixed up letters, very much like SpellCheck. But I can't
find either of these features in Word today. And I don't remember ever using
it beyond those classes. Now I have a need. Am I dreaming? Or did Word do
this kind of search? Use my new e-mail address: Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

This was never available as a direct feature of Word. Internally, Word's
spelling checker had an anagram function: you gave it a list of letters and
it returned all words in its dictionary comprising those letters. You needed
a macro to use it.

But this is history, anyway. The feature was removed sometime post-97.

"John A. Turek Jr." John A. Turek wrote in
message ...
I have office 2003. From a class long ago in office 97, I seem to remember
that there was a way to enter a scrambled word or a word with missing
letters, and Word would offer suggestions based on the position of the
letters I did have. For example, if it typed H**P, Word would show HELP,
HEAP HARP, etc, as the possible words I needed. The teacher also said
that
it was possible for Word to unscramble letters and offer possible
combinations of mixed up letters, very much like SpellCheck. But I can't
find either of these features in Word today. And I don't remember ever
using
it beyond those classes. Now I have a need. Am I dreaming? Or did Word
do
this kind of search? Use my new e-mail address: Thank
you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John A. Turek Jr.

Thank you for your reply. I knew I wasn't crazy. I guess that is why the
feature was removed. This is the first time in 8 years that I could have
used it. Thanks again.

"Jezebel" wrote:

This was never available as a direct feature of Word. Internally, Word's
spelling checker had an anagram function: you gave it a list of letters and
it returned all words in its dictionary comprising those letters. You needed
a macro to use it.

But this is history, anyway. The feature was removed sometime post-97.

james smith james smith is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Turek Jr. View Post
I have office 2003. From a class long ago in office 97, I seem to remember
that there was a way to enter a scrambled word or a word with missing
letters, and Word would offer suggestions based on the position of the
letters I did have. For example, if it typed H**P, Word would show HELP,
HEAP HARP, etc, as the possible words I needed. The teacher also said that
it was possible for Word to unscramble letters and offer possible
combinations of mixed up letters, very much like SpellCheck. But I can't
find either of these features in Word today. And I don't remember ever using
it beyond those classes. Now I have a need. Am I dreaming? Or did Word do
this kind of search? Use my new e-mail address: Thank you.
I generally seek Google to find such kind of tools. Why don't you try https://wordmaker.info/ to unscramble words easily.

Make Word's "Proper Case" tool work properly master_objectist Microsoft Word Help 8 November 10th 05 11:49 PM
How can I find if there are doubles in my list of words? Rhen Microsoft Word Help 3 June 9th 05 05:12 AM
Word frequencies Anthea Microsoft Word Help 6 January 10th 05 04:46 AM
Word Count mel Microsoft Word Help 2 December 14th 04 10:17 PM
How can I keep Word's spell check tool from checking proper names. BDavisFloyd Microsoft Word Help 1 December 9th 04 08:19 PM