Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Scotty Scotty is offline

Default Creating Template Variable for a RecordSet?

I have a template which I would like to put a place holder to display 1 of 2
values depending what the user has selected as a preference. I know very
little of the Word Template operations, but is this possible. If so where
should I look for some help.
Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?U2NvdHR5?=,

I have a template which I would like to put a place holder to display 1 of 2
values depending what the user has selected as a preference. I know very
little of the Word Template operations, but is this possible.

Impossible to say, based on the little you tell us. Where is the user supposed
to select this preference? What does "Recordset" in the subject have to do with
this?

In a general sort of way, it's not possible to link a Word file to any kind of
"Recordset". This would require some kind of VBA code (or VSTO code).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

It may well be possible. I have templates that are localized. That is,
their content is different depending on which user is using them to create
documents. However, I can't tell what you are trying to do. Can you give an
example, using as little jargon as possible?

Which version of Word?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Scotty" wrote in message
news
I have a template which I would like to put a place holder to display 1 of
2
values depending what the user has selected as a preference. I know very
little of the Word Template operations, but is this possible. If so where
should I look for some help.
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Scotty:

Yes, it's possible, however I need to know a bit more about what you are
trying to accomplish in order that we can suggest the best way to do it.

I would usually use an "IF" field for this. Look up the help topic "Field
codes: If field" and come back here if you can't figure it out from there
:-)

Cheers

On 8/7/06 12:15 AM, in article
, "Scotty"
wrote:

I have a template which I would like to put a place holder to display 1 of 2
values depending what the user has selected as a preference. I know very
little of the Word Template operations, but is this possible. If so where
should I look for some help.
Thank you.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Scotty Scotty is offline

Office Word 2003. The .dot field that I need to have controll over is a
hyperlinked field, labeled? "Course, Mag (Leg Midpoint)+"; this is
calculated. Depending on a registry value, this needs to be either the
Midpoint or "Course, Mag (Leg Initial)+" field.