Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
kaz kaz is offline

Default Fixing format problems when corrupt

Hi there

I've developed a series of document templates (although they have been
supplied to the customer as .doc not as .dot). The customer has
reported problems with my heading styles, list styles, etc getting
corrupted. So far I haven't been able to solve why the corruption
occurs - I guess maybe it is just Word?

Anyway, I wondered if there is some way of having a separate document
with the correct styles in it and then develop a macro (in the new
document not the distributed ones) to copy the correct styles across to
the corrupt document. Is that possible? I'm not very good with macros
so I would appreciate any assistance I may get here.

Thanks
Kaz

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

No, this is not a typical Word problem. You don't need a macro to import
styles from one document or template to another: go to Tools Templates and
Add-ins and click the Organizer button.

You can also remedy the situation by correcting the styles in the document
template then using the 'Automatically update document styles' checkbox on
the Templates and Add-ins dialog; but this requires that you use real
templates, not docs masquerading as such.

"kaz" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there

I've developed a series of document templates (although they have been
supplied to the customer as .doc not as .dot). The customer has
reported problems with my heading styles, list styles, etc getting
corrupted. So far I haven't been able to solve why the corruption
occurs - I guess maybe it is just Word?

Anyway, I wondered if there is some way of having a separate document
with the correct styles in it and then develop a macro (in the new
document not the distributed ones) to copy the correct styles across to
the corrupt document. Is that possible? I'm not very good with macros
so I would appreciate any assistance I may get here.

Thanks
Kaz

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Hi Kaz

kaz wrote:
I've developed a series of document templates (although they have been
supplied to the customer as .doc not as .dot). The customer has
reported problems with my heading styles, list styles, etc getting
corrupted. So far I haven't been able to solve why the corruption
occurs - I guess maybe it is just Word?

It might be Word -- *if* your numbered styles are not setup carefully.
See a couple of articles below:

Ins and outs of bullets and numbering in Word

See the section on "Numbering, bullets, Headings, Outlines" (by Shauna
Kelly)
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/
How to restart style-based numbering (by Margaret Aldis)
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...artMethods.htm
Word's numbering explained (by John McGhie)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...gExplained.htm
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...a616aec?hl=en&

Greetinx
Robert