Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Heidi Heidi is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 37
Default insert footers in normal template

Over a network I want all users to insert a filename in the footer of any new
doc they open. I understand you cannot insert autotext into normal.dot but
there must be a way of doing this.
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,428
Default insert footers in normal template

Create a specific template which includes the FILENAME field in the
footer and have users create their documents based on that template.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP


"Heidi" wrote in message
...
Over a network I want all users to insert a filename in the footer of
any new
doc they open. I understand you cannot insert autotext into normal.dot
but there must be a way of doing this.






  #3   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Heidi Heidi is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 37
Default insert footers in normal template



"Heidi" wrote:

Over a network I want all users to insert a filename in the footer of any new
doc they open. I understand you cannot insert autotext into normal.dot but
there must be a way of doing this.


Thanks I had thought of that but that requires a specific action by users,
is there no way to set it up automatically with any 'new document' ie when
the user opens word or click on new doc
  #4   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Herb Tyson [MVP] Herb Tyson [MVP] is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,936
Default insert footers in normal template

An AutoNew macro could do it. You'd need to have that macro included in
every template the users use.

Record a new macro -- name it AutoNew -- and in a new document, go through
the steps of navigating to the footer area, inserting a {filename } field
(I'm assuming you'd want the name of the file they're creating), then
closing the footer area and returning to the beginning of the document to
begin writing/composing.

There are additional steps you could take to make sure that the field is
updated after the file is given a permanent name, so that it displays when
opened (e.g., an AutoOpen macro that navigates to the footer, updates the
field, then returns to the beginning for additional editing/writing/etc.).

If all of the templates users use are stored on a network server, this could
be fairly straightforward to accomplish (assuming no existing AutoOpen or
AutoNew macros). Simply use the Organizer (Tools - Templates and Add-ins -
Organizer) to copy the macro to the target templates.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com


"Heidi" wrote in message
...


"Heidi" wrote:

Over a network I want all users to insert a filename in the footer of any
new
doc they open. I understand you cannot insert autotext into normal.dot
but
there must be a way of doing this.


Thanks I had thought of that but that requires a specific action by users,
is there no way to set it up automatically with any 'new document' ie when
the user opens word or click on new doc


  #5   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Heidi Heidi is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 37
Default insert footers in normal template



"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

An AutoNew macro could do it. You'd need to have that macro included in
every template the users use.

Record a new macro -- name it AutoNew -- and in a new document, go through
the steps of navigating to the footer area, inserting a {filename } field
(I'm assuming you'd want the name of the file they're creating), then
closing the footer area and returning to the beginning of the document to
begin writing/composing.

There are additional steps you could take to make sure that the field is
updated after the file is given a permanent name, so that it displays when
opened (e.g., an AutoOpen macro that navigates to the footer, updates the
field, then returns to the beginning for additional editing/writing/etc.).

If all of the templates users use are stored on a network server, this could
be fairly straightforward to accomplish (assuming no existing AutoOpen or
AutoNew macros). Simply use the Organizer (Tools - Templates and Add-ins -
Organizer) to copy the macro to the target templates.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com


"Heidi" wrote in message
...


"Heidi" wrote:

Over a network I want all users to insert a filename in the footer of any
new
doc they open. I understand you cannot insert autotext into normal.dot
but
there must be a way of doing this.


Thanks I had thought of that but that requires a specific action by users,
is there no way to set it up automatically with any 'new document' ie when
the user opens word or click on new doc


Thanks so much for your solution, I will give it a go now. I do appreciate your respectful and courteous reply.



  #6   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Suzanne S. Barnhill Suzanne S. Barnhill is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 33,624
Default insert footers in normal template

You can in fact insert a specific header/footer into Normal.dot, but it is
not recommended. Although the macros recommended by other posters may do
what you want, a better solution would be to create specific document
templates for the types of documents your users will create and save them in
the Workgroup Templates folder. What remains is a matter of user
education/training.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Heidi" wrote in message
...
Over a network I want all users to insert a filename in the footer of any

new
doc they open. I understand you cannot insert autotext into normal.dot but
there must be a way of doing this.


  #7   Report Post  
aw13973 aw13973 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 5
Default

i have been trying to insert a specific footer into Normal.dot, even if it is
not recommended.

so far unsuccessful

anybody have it work ?

suggestions ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post
You can in fact insert a specific header/footer into Normal.dot, but it is
not recommended. Although the macros recommended by other posters may do
what you want, a better solution would be to create specific document
templates for the types of documents your users will create and save them in
the Workgroup Templates folder. What remains is a matter of user
education/training.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Heidi" wrote in message
...
Over a network I want all users to insert a filename in the footer of any

new
doc they open. I understand you cannot insert autotext into normal.dot but
there must be a way of doing this.
  #8   Report Post  
aw13973 aw13973 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw13973 View Post
i have been trying to insert a specific footer into Normal.dot, even if it is
not recommended.

so far unsuccessful

anybody have it work ?

suggestions ?
thank you in advance
Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Headers and footers are not printing in normal lighter shade jcarlyogi Microsoft Word Help 1 July 18th 06 12:33 AM
Suddenly Normal.dot in Recently used file list & Paragraph marks in Headers & Footers? Eric G Microsoft Word Help 2 October 12th 05 03:51 PM
lost data in footers when restoring to normal word document derek Mailmerge 1 February 4th 05 11:01 PM
Normal.dot template and Normal style Lonely Editor Microsoft Word Help 1 February 1st 05 08:42 PM
insert document with headers and footers Robb Microsoft Word Help 1 January 5th 05 10:17 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:38 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Word"