Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
denise denise is offline

Default Mail Merge for Postcard Template

Using Word 2003. Using a Microsoft postcard template to communicate with 20
students about an upcoming event. Database for students is in Excel. The
address location on the template is a text box. I'm using the Merge wizard
as usual. Inserted Address Block Field for first card and Next Record and
Address Block for second card and forward. Error message comes up that says
I cannot insert Next into header, footer, endnotes, etc. then it inserts
only the first students address onto every card. I've been using Merge for a
long time but I'm evidently missing something obvious. Anyone interested in
enlighteneing me?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
denise denise is offline

"Denise" wrote:

Using Word 2003. Using a Microsoft postcard template to communicate with 20 students about an upcoming event. Database for students is in Excel. The
address location on the template is a text box. I'm using the Merge wizard
as usual. Inserted Address Block Field for first card and Next Record and
Address Block for second card and forward. Error message comes up that says
I cannot insert Next into header, footer, endnotes, etc. then it inserts
only the first students address onto every card. I've been using Merge for a
long time but I'm evidently missing something obvious. Anyone interested in
enlighteneing me?

Thanks!

Been continuing reading posts for similar problems. Seems that although
Address Block works fine in a text box - Next Record does not. Working
through the suggestion to create a table but still getting the same error
message regarding Next Record. Can't treat these postcrds as labels since
using Current Document is not an option. The postcard content has already
been wriiten, just trying to merge the names on the right hand side.
Frustrating that this should be so difficult.

Thanks for any help that comes my way.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Rich/rerat Rich/rerat is offline

Denise,
It is also recommended that you do not use the Address Block feature, but
use the individual mergefields in the document.

Rich/rerat
(RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate

"Denise" wrote in message

"Denise" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Get rid of the text box and just insert the mergefields that make up the
address in the configuration that you want them in the position that you
want them by adjusting the indent and space before the paragraph.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Denise" wrote in message
Using Word 2003. Using a Microsoft postcard template to communicate with
20
students about an upcoming event. Database for students is in Excel. The
address location on the template is a text box. I'm using the Merge
wizard
as usual. Inserted Address Block Field for first card and Next Record and
Address Block for second card and forward. Error message comes up that
says
I cannot insert Next into header, footer, endnotes, etc. then it inserts
only the first students address onto every card. I've been using Merge
for a
long time but I'm evidently missing something obvious. Anyone interested
in
enlighteneing me?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
denise denise is offline

Thanks for the help.

The set-up of this template is such that the first layer is a text box with
1 other on top on the left for your message and 2 other on the right for
return and mailing address. Even if I delete the address text box I'm still
inserting the field in the text box beneath it. I have two options, it
seems. The box will accept the address info. for the merge so I can print
them one at a time which is difficult since they are two-up or I can
surrender and print labels that I can easily merge. That's what I'm going to
do and be educated about looking at the "pieces" of a template before I
choose one in the future.

Thank you again for taking the time.

"Denise" wrote in message
Using Word 2003. Using a Microsoft postcard template to communicate with
20
students about an upcoming event. Database for students is in Excel. The
address location on the template is a text box. I'm using the Merge
wizard
as usual. Inserted Address Block Field for first card and Next Record and
Address Block for second card and forward. Error message comes up that
says
I cannot insert Next into header, footer, endnotes, etc. then it inserts
only the first students address onto every card. I've been using Merge
for a
long time but I'm evidently missing something obvious. Anyone interested
in
enlighteneing me?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Don't use the text boxes!

Labels/postcards are just tables with fixed cell dimensions. If you want to
control the placement of items on a postcard, split the cell that represents
to postcard as required to provide spaces for the individual items (or
collections of items).

Are you actually executing the merge, or just previewing the results?

--

"Denise" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jackie[_2_] Jackie[_2_] is offline

Default Mail Merge Word 2003 4 x 5.5 Postcards

I have tried everything to make the address merge work. Removed all text boxes, etc. First made the labels for the postcard then tried to input my text - no text boxes and I can't get the addresses to appear on the right ...just constant problems and hours wasted. I REALLY do not want to print lables and stick them on my postcards. My postcards that were perfect until I tried to do a mail merge for the addresses. I guess I need postcard mail merge 101 help or Word needs to upgrade their mail merge. Every postcard template I Have has text boxes. Thanks for any help.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

Don't use the text boxes!
18-Nov-07

Don't use the text boxes!

Labels/postcards are just tables with fixed cell dimensions. If you want to
control the placement of items on a postcard, split the cell that represents
to postcard as required to provide spaces for the individual items (or
collections of items).

Are you actually executing the merge, or just previewing the results?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Denise" wrote in message

On Saturday, November 17, 2007 3:30 PM
Denis wrote:

Mail Merge for Postcard Template
Using Word 2003. Using a Microsoft postcard template to communicate with 20
students about an upcoming event. Database for students is in Excel. The
address location on the template is a text box. I'm using the Merge wizard
as usual. Inserted Address Block Field for first card and Next Record and
Address Block for second card and forward. Error message comes up that says
I cannot insert Next into header, footer, endnotes, etc. then it inserts
only the first students address onto every card. I've been using Merge for a
long time but I'm evidently missing something obvious. Anyone interested in
enlighteneing me?

Thanks!

"Denise" wrote:

Been continuing reading posts for similar problems. Seems that although
Address Block works fine in a text box - Next Record does not. Working
through the suggestion to create a table but still getting the same error
message regarding Next Record. Can't treat these postcrds as labels since
using Current Document is not an option. The postcard content has already
been wriiten, just trying to merge the names on the right hand side.
Frustrating that this should be so difficult.

Thanks for any help that comes my way.

"Denise" wrote in message

"Denise" wrote:

Been continuing reading posts for similar problems. Seems that although
Address Block works fine in a text box - Next Record does not. Working
through the suggestion to create a table but still getting the same error
message regarding Next Record. Can't treat these postcrds as labels since
using Current Document is not an option. The postcard content has already
been wriiten, just trying to merge the names on the right hand side.
Frustrating that this should be so difficult.

Thanks for any help that comes my way.

On Sunday, November 18, 2007 4:46 AM
Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

Get rid of the text box and just insert the mergefields that make up the
Get rid of the text box and just insert the mergefields that make up the
address in the configuration that you want them in the position that you
want them by adjusting the indent and space before the paragraph.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Denise" wrote in message

On Sunday, November 18, 2007 10:16 AM
Denis wrote:

Thanks for the help.
Thanks for the help.

The set-up of this template is such that the first layer is a text box with
1 other on top on the left for your message and 2 other on the right for
return and mailing address. Even if I delete the address text box I'm still
inserting the field in the text box beneath it. I have two options, it
seems. The box will accept the address info. for the merge so I can print
them one at a time which is difficult since they are two-up or I can
surrender and print labels that I can easily merge. That's what I'm going to
do and be educated about looking at the "pieces" of a template before I
choose one in the future.

Thank you again for taking the time.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

On Sunday, November 18, 2007 2:26 PM
Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

Don't use the text boxes!
Don't use the text boxes!

Labels/postcards are just tables with fixed cell dimensions. If you want to
control the placement of items on a postcard, split the cell that represents
to postcard as required to provide spaces for the individual items (or
collections of items).

Are you actually executing the merge, or just previewing the results?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Free Commercial Icons and Graphics
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...icons-and.aspx
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This is not rocket science, just a little fiddly.
If you begin with the postcard label format on screen you will have between
3 and 5 table cells on screen (depending on which label format you are
using). Select the table and use the tool to split the cells in half. You
should now have 6 to 10 table cells, with 2 cells for each 'postcard'
Set the merge document type as *Letter* or you will get addresses in all the
cells.
Put your address in the first of the cells in which you wish it to appear
and format it.
Copy and paste it to the other cells in which you wish it to appear.
Add a Next Record field to the start of each of those addresses except the
first.
Fill the other cells with whatever you want to write in them
Merge to a new document. If you are happy, print that document on your
'label' blanks
See http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm
http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm
and perhaps http://www.gmayor.com/duplex_merge_data.htm