Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Paul Moloney Paul Moloney is offline

Default Styles and Formatting-Select All removes formatting?

I've noticed that sometimes when I use "Styles and Formatting--Select
All n instances" to select multiple occurances of text with a
particular style, that the selection either happens instantly, or
takes a length of time to occur during which time a "Microsoft Word is
analyzing your document" message appears in the status bar.

Whether or not this message appears doesn't appear to depend on how
many instances of text are being selected; I've seen it appears when
only three paragraphs of text are being selected, while selecting
another style with hundreds of instances happens instantly.

The main problem is that after performing a "Select All", and the
"...analysing..." message appearing, is that a custom table style has
been removed from tables in my document. Not sure why as the style I'm
selecting is not related to the table style. Has anyone else seen
this?

Thanks,

P.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

"Paul Moloney" wrote in message
I've noticed that sometimes when I use "Styles and Formatting--Select
All n instances" to select multiple occurances of text with a
particular style, that the selection either happens instantly, or
takes a length of time to occur during which time a "Microsoft Word is
analyzing your document" message appears in the status bar.

Whether or not this message appears doesn't appear to depend on how
many instances of text are being selected; I've seen it appears when
only three paragraphs of text are being selected, while selecting
another style with hundreds of instances happens instantly.

Note that using Find is often faster than selecting all instances. It is
especially useful when you quickly want to change the formatting of text.
You can search a style and replace with another, for example.

The main problem is that after performing a "Select All", and the
"...analysing..." message appearing, is that a custom table style has
been removed from tables in my document. Not sure why as the style I'm
selecting is not related to the table style. Has anyone else seen
this?

Thanks,

P.

In what way has the style been removed? Is some other style applied to the
tables instead? Or has the formatting changed?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I also found "Find all instances" more useful than "Select All" in a
document where I was trying to count paragraphs in a particular style. Since
some of the paragraphs had been modified (with direct paragraph formatting),
they appeared as separate "formatting" listings, making it impossible to
select all the instances of the base style, whereas Find doesn't care about
direct formatting.