Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
MKG MKG is offline

Default Unable to obtain list of tables from the data source

We are using Word and Outlook 2003. In IE, Outlook is set as our email
program. Our address books are properly configured as address books. I've
run fixmapi.exe with Word and Outlook closed. I've scoured the internet and
the MS kbase.

I and at least one other user are receiving the error "unable to obtain list
of tables from the data source." This error occurs after clicking on Choose
Contacts Folder when trying to create a mail merge in Word using the contacts
in Outlook.

Besides the above suggestions which didn't work or were already set
properly, what can be done to resolve this issue? We're at a standstill
because at this point we have no real way to create mailing labels from our
contacts.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Your best bet is to start from Outlook, select the contacts you want to
merge, then use Outlook Tools|Mail Merge to set up the merge.

In essence, Outlook exports the data to a temp file and then tries to
connect the Word mail merge main document to that temp file.

It's not what I would prefer, but it's probably the better approach longer
term, as long as it works for you. You get to see more of the fields in the
Outlook contacts, for one thing - e.g. categories.

But there are some gotchas, e.g.:
a. some people get similar error messages even when they do it this way. In
that case, my best guess is that there is a permissions problem somewhere in
your users' temp folder structure, particularly if you are using Terminal
Server
b. the field names in the data source are different depending on whether
you "start from Word" or "start from Outlook", so you may need to modify
your mail merge main documents to use this approach

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"MKG" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] coomar@gmail.com is offline

Here's a resolution which has worked for me. I HOPE it helps in your
particular case.

Two steps:

1) Go to Tools / Email Accounts
a. Select "View or change existing directories or address
books", then Next.
b. There SHOULD be an "Outlook Address Book" type MAPI
directory there--but it's most likely missing.
If it's missing, click Add / Additional Address
Books / Outlook Address Book
c. Close and re-open Outlook.

2) In Outlook, right-click on the main Contact folder and go to the
"Outlook Address Book" tab. It's likely the checkbox is de-selected.
Select the checkbox, click Apply, and OK. *Do this for EACH Contact
sub-folder is they exist.

That's it. This has consistently resolved the "Unable to obtain list
of tables from the data source" error.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Really useful input, thanks.

--