Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Russ Cook[_2_] Russ Cook[_2_] is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Deleting spaces at end of line/paragraph

Hi All,
New to the forum, just signed up because I have a glitch with Word that has
completely puzzled me.

I have produced a list of file names that are held in a folder (using
right-drag, paste as hyperlink into Word doc). I then used "find and replace"
to delete all of the unwanted file path info and to just leave the file name.

I plan to use what is left in an Excel Spreadsheet as source data for a
VLOOKUP to see whether the file exists, but have found that the list in Word
has a "Space" at the end of every line and each line is treated as a
paragraph.

The problem comes when I paste this list into Excel and it treats the
"Space" as a character and therefore my VLOOKUP fails.

So, is there an easy way to delete all of the additional spaces at the end
of each line (approx 3500 lines of file-names)?

Assitance is very much appreciated.

  #2   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
DeanH DeanH is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,862
Default Deleting spaces at end of line/paragraph

Use Find/Replace (Ctrl+H), Find for "[space]^p" that is Spacebar followed by
Shift+6 followed by lowercase p.
Replace with ^p
The ^p is the code for the paragraph marks.
Repeat this until you get 0 changes.
Hope this helps
DeanH


"Russ Cook" wrote:

Hi All,
New to the forum, just signed up because I have a glitch with Word that has
completely puzzled me.

I have produced a list of file names that are held in a folder (using
right-drag, paste as hyperlink into Word doc). I then used "find and replace"
to delete all of the unwanted file path info and to just leave the file name.

I plan to use what is left in an Excel Spreadsheet as source data for a
VLOOKUP to see whether the file exists, but have found that the list in Word
has a "Space" at the end of every line and each line is treated as a
paragraph.

The problem comes when I paste this list into Excel and it treats the
"Space" as a character and therefore my VLOOKUP fails.

So, is there an easy way to delete all of the additional spaces at the end
of each line (approx 3500 lines of file-names)?

Assitance is very much appreciated.

  #3   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Russ Cook[_2_] Russ Cook[_2_] is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Deleting spaces at end of line/paragraph

DeanH - Genius ! That's exactly the trick....and far more simple than I
realised.
Huge thanks!

"DeanH" wrote:

Use Find/Replace (Ctrl+H), Find for "[space]^p" that is Spacebar followed by
Shift+6 followed by lowercase p.
Replace with ^p
The ^p is the code for the paragraph marks.
Repeat this until you get 0 changes.
Hope this helps
DeanH


"Russ Cook" wrote:

Hi All,
New to the forum, just signed up because I have a glitch with Word that has
completely puzzled me.

I have produced a list of file names that are held in a folder (using
right-drag, paste as hyperlink into Word doc). I then used "find and replace"
to delete all of the unwanted file path info and to just leave the file name.

I plan to use what is left in an Excel Spreadsheet as source data for a
VLOOKUP to see whether the file exists, but have found that the list in Word
has a "Space" at the end of every line and each line is treated as a
paragraph.

The problem comes when I paste this list into Excel and it treats the
"Space" as a character and therefore my VLOOKUP fails.

So, is there an easy way to delete all of the additional spaces at the end
of each line (approx 3500 lines of file-names)?

Assitance is very much appreciated.

  #4   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
DeanH DeanH is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,862
Default Deleting spaces at end of line/paragraph

You are most welcome.
DeanH

"Russ Cook" wrote:

DeanH - Genius ! That's exactly the trick....and far more simple than I
realised.
Huge thanks!

"DeanH" wrote:

Use Find/Replace (Ctrl+H), Find for "[space]^p" that is Spacebar followed by
Shift+6 followed by lowercase p.
Replace with ^p
The ^p is the code for the paragraph marks.
Repeat this until you get 0 changes.
Hope this helps
DeanH


"Russ Cook" wrote:

Hi All,
New to the forum, just signed up because I have a glitch with Word that has
completely puzzled me.

I have produced a list of file names that are held in a folder (using
right-drag, paste as hyperlink into Word doc). I then used "find and replace"
to delete all of the unwanted file path info and to just leave the file name.

I plan to use what is left in an Excel Spreadsheet as source data for a
VLOOKUP to see whether the file exists, but have found that the list in Word
has a "Space" at the end of every line and each line is treated as a
paragraph.

The problem comes when I paste this list into Excel and it treats the
"Space" as a character and therefore my VLOOKUP fails.

So, is there an easy way to delete all of the additional spaces at the end
of each line (approx 3500 lines of file-names)?

Assitance is very much appreciated.

Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deleting spaces at end of line Russ Cook Formatting Long Documents 1 December 21st 07 04:13 PM
deleting spaces on labels when nothing is in a field GS Mailmerge 1 October 10th 07 08:13 AM
Removing spaces at the beginning of a paragraph fig000 Microsoft Word Help 2 August 7th 06 05:41 AM
Deleting extra line spaces KL Microsoft Word Help 2 May 15th 06 09:31 PM
what do do when a new paragraph will not indent 5 spaces? jhannan38 Microsoft Word Help 3 November 17th 05 01:46 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:47 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Word"